The fee hikes are history, but the CLASSE marches on
Despite the announcement earlier this week that premier Pauline Marois is rolling back the Charest government's planned tuition fee increases that sparked the large and contentious student demonstrations this past spring, members of the CLASSE student group went ahead with a demonstration through the streets of east-central Montreal Saturday.
It was the seventh month in a row that a student demonstration took place on the 22nd of a month.
Unlike the CEGEP and university student federations, which declared victory upon the cancellation of the hikes, the CLASSE are still fighting for free tuition.
And much like some of the more raucous demos of the past spring, Montreal police say demonstrators threw projectiles at police, injuring one officer in the leg. Two of the demonstrators were arrested.
CLASSE concerned about indexing tuition fees
The premier is planning to hold an education summit shortly. She has stated her government plans to go into the summit proposing that university tuition fees increase along with the rate of inflation, though she also says that position isn't set in stone.
CLASSE spokesperson Jeanne Reynolds says that while the cancellation of the tuition hike is a victory that ought to be celebrated, she says the flight continues, and that indexing tuition increases represents another 'regressive' move that isn't much different than the hikes proposed by the former Charest government.
Meantime, newly elected PQ MNA Léo Bureau-Blouin, who served as the leader of the FECQ at the peak of the student protests, says the indexation strategy is 'reasonable and acceptable.'
Quebec Solidaire co-leader Françoise David was at the march. Her party supports free education. So was Option Nationale leader Jean-Martin Aussant.