More bilingual people in the workplace

Posted By: Laura Casella · 11/27/2012 1:01:00 PM

Quebec's language watchdog has released the results of a study on French in the workplace.

It shows that while French is still the main language at work, it has decreased slightly in the last twenty years, pointing to a rise in bilingualism.

The study shows that since 1989 people speaking primarily French in the workplace has gone down 2% province-wide, slightly higher in Montreal at 5%. 

It's a slight decrease that still concerns the Office québécois de la langue francaise because it means more people are speaking English.

"It does concern us a little bit," says Louise Marchand, the head of the l'Office, "because ee want to make sure that when people are using English it's because it is needed, as prescribed by the Charter."

The study also shows that bilingualism in the workplace is more present in the private sector and where employees possess higher education degrees.

Allophones represent the highest porportion of Quebecers that are speaking only French at work, and the number has been growing steadily over the years. 

Leave a comment:

showing all comments · Subscribe to comments
  1. RealTalk posted on 11/27/2012 01:24 PM
    Please, if a study came out that said 97% of Quebecers speak french at home, and everywhere else, the language police would still be concerned because "the remaining 3% is still not french and it poses a problem to the language."
  2. JohnH- posted on 11/27/2012 02:48 PM
    Once again this is the most important problem in Quebec. We have full employment. Our health care system is an example to the world. The roads, water pipes, bridges, education and environment most countries can only dream to have what we have. I guess all that is left is language.
  3. Brian Murphy posted on 11/28/2012 08:04 AM
    Maybe it's just me... Louise Marchant's quote "It does concern us a little bit because we want to make sure that when people are using English it's because it is needed, as prescribed by the Charter." Concerns me that our public servants and elected politicians are permitted to publicly trample our human rights and freedoms. Do words we use matter anymore. If I went to a mechanic, and told him,"I want to make sure that when you use a screwdriver, it is needed" I'll be kicked out of his garage with good reason. Why is it acceptable to overtly make statements like this one and nobody says, "Louise, we can encourage, but "make" and control behavior of private citizens protected under our Charter is not acceptable human behaviour in our free society."? If those with microphones won't ask the question, then I will.
  4. Sheryl posted on 11/28/2012 09:07 AM
    Next , the PQs will be asking Anglos to wear identifying arm bands.
  5. Thomas posted on 12/01/2012 11:52 PM
    When will you wake up and realize there is a world out there and people have a right to speak to each other in any language they want to. You cannot force someone not to learn other languages and if there are people speaking to each other in another language, what will you do, fine them, fire them?

    This is just ridiculous. Why don't you bigots learn another language? Look at the second to last sentence in this article "Bilingualism in the workplace is more present in the private sector and where employees possess higher education degrees" This implies that these bigots at the OQLF are uneducated. LIKELY TRUE

    You cannot force people to speak only your language amongst themselves.
showing all comments

News

You are seeing the 2 most recent blog posts.

Most Popular

News Videos

Note about comments: Comments will not appear immediately after posting. Comments containing links or vulgar language and comments that are racist, sexist or offensive will not be approved.