17 cough and cold remedies recalled
A major supplier of cold and cough remedies is recalling 17 products because the child-resistant mechanism of the bottle caps can fail, putting children at risk for potential harm.
Due to the faulty caps, children may be able to open the bottles and ingest the products, which contain ingredients that can cause serious adverse health consequences in youngsters, including death.
Health Canada said Thursday it has not received any reports of adverse reactions as a result of the defective caps, but maker Novartis Consumer Health Canada Inc. is recalling the products and asking retailers to immediately halt their sale.
Novartis, which has confirmed the cold and cough products were distributed across Canada, is also asking retailers to return the over-the-counter medicines to the company.
Health Canada suggests consumers consult their health-care practitioner if they have any concerns about the following recalled products:
• Jack & Jill Cough Syrup, 100 ml, DIN:00622036
• Jack & Jill Children's Formula Cough Liquid, 100 ml, DIN:00823023
• Jack & Jill Cough & Cold, 100 ml, DIN:02242588
• Jack & Jill Bedtime, 100 ml, DIN:02241167
• Jack & Jill Expectorant, 100 ml, DIN:02350084
• Triaminic Cough and Cold, 100 ml, DIN:02243739
• Triaminic Cold & Nightime Cough, 100 ml, DIN:00896179
• Triaminic Cough, Cold & Fever, 100 ml, DIN:02239666
• Triaminic Cough & Sore Throat, 100 ml, DIN:02130564
• Triaminic Chest & Nasal Congestion, 100 ml, DIN:02278308
• Triaminic Long Acting Cough, 100 ml, DIN:02277972
• Neo Citran Extra Strength Nightime Total Cold and Flu, 245 ml, DIN:02275961
• Neo Citran Extra Strength Daytime Total Cold and Flu, 245 ml, DIN:02275988
• Neo Citran Extra Strength Chest Congestion, Cold and Mucous Relief, 245 ml, DIN:02304740
• Buckley's Complete, 150 ml and 250 ml, DIN:02279703
• Buckley's Complete with Mucous Relief Extra Strength, 150 ml and 250 ml, DIN:02357232
• Buckley's Complete PM Nightime, 150 ml, DIN:02356457