Ammonia leak at Eric Sharp arena
Authorities had to shut down the aging Eric Sharp Arena last night because of an ammonia gas leak from the refrigeration system.
The alarm was sounded at around 4 yesterday afternoon and the all-clear was not sounded until just before 3 this morning.
Firefighters and Enviroment Quebec technicians were called in to lend a hand.
No one was injured.
The arena is 47 years old and there are plans to tear it down, but a citizens group has organized a campaign to try to save the building.
They consider it architecturally unique and more than a thousand people have signed a petition of support.