City councillor wants variable parking rates

Posted By: Laura Casella · 2/19/2013 10:18:00 AM

City councillor Marvin Rotrand says Montreal needs to start looking at street parking as an urban development tool, not just a revenue stream. He is proposing that meter rates be set block by block and month by month to encourage parking in some areas, discourage it in others.

The idea is to make parking rates flexible based on demand. Hence, rates would increase in overused, busy stretches, and drop in underused areas.

Rotrand says this is a more intelligent way of handling parking problems.

"Right now there are certain parts of downtown where it is impossible to park. That tells me the rates are too low or too low part of the day when the demand is too high."

He believes this system, which is currently used in San Francisco, would benefit merchants in busy areas because it would create a high turnover rate. 

"There will be parts of the day where the rates will actually be lower than the current rate," he says, "because people aren't using the spaces. Probabaly not in the heart of downtown, but in the periphery." 

Rotrand has also recommended to the executive committee member responsible for transport that the base parking rate increase to $4 an hour in some areas in 2014. 

Leave a comment:

showing all comments · Subscribe to comments
  1. Hugh W Nugent posted on 02/19/2013 01:10 PM
    Mr. Rotrand should remove his head from his rectum, that will allow him to be situationally aware of what is really needed.

    At the present not only are the parking rules/rates confusing in Montreal, (a while ago Leno actually showed examples of the parking signs which had his audience in stitches), the parking rules/rates discourage visiting downtown. I for one will only go downtown as a last resort, and even then it is by bus and Metro.

    What is needed is an incentive for people to go downtown for shopping and entertainment. This could be accomplished by reducing parking rates at night and on the weekends. The reductions would be constant. ie, Monday to Thursday between 18:00 and 06:00 the next morning a small charge to park on the street. From Friday at 18:00 until 06:00 Monday morning again a small charge. If you give an incentive people will come.

    "There will be parts of the day where the rates will actually be lower than the current rate," he says, "because people aren't using the spaces. Probabaly not in the heart of downtown, but in the periphery."

    This quote is an example of the lack of common sense exhibited by politicians. Let's make the rates lower in areas no where near the shopping and entertainment areas.

    What Mr. Rotrand and the rest of his band of Empty Helmets should be doing is talking with merchants, restaurant/bar owners, and the public. This is where you will find viable solutions.

    As for using San Francisco's example, is the situation in San Francisco the same as Montreal's? Unless the answer is yes this is a useless comparison.
    1. barry w posted on 02/19/2013 06:34 PM
  2. Hugh W. Nugent posted on 02/19/2013 01:52 PM
    Continuing with my first comment. Mr. Rotrand conveniently cites San Francisco as an example. Using his renowned convoluted logic, why aren't the new Metro cars air-conditioned.

    If I am not mistaken, unlike the renowned "Marvelous" Marvin Rotrand, Montreal is the only city in North America without an air-conditioned subway system. Mr. Rotrand was quoted last year stating that no air-conditioning is a more environmentaly friendly solution. Just to refresh Mr. Rotrand's grey matter 98% of electricity in Quebec is Hydro generated, the other 2% comes from the reactors at Gentilly, which are being phased out.

    Since when is hydro electricty not favourable to the environment.

    Mr. Rotrand cannot use other cities as examples only when it suits him.
  3. Drew posted on 02/20/2013 01:22 AM
    Let us kill the little business owner. Lets see I am going out to buy a computer and have to carry it either in a bus or metro. Now lets consider the weight as well. so what I have decide is to go to the shopping mall where there is free parking and I do not not have to lug this computer all over the city. If the price of parking goes up there will be a lot of going out of business signs
showing all comments

News

You are seeing the 2 most recent blog posts.

Most Popular

News Videos

Note about comments: Comments will not appear immediately after posting. Comments containing links or vulgar language and comments that are racist, sexist or offensive will not be approved.