Montreal muslim youth conference cancelled
A Muslim youth conference in Montreal has been cancelled after the convention centre where it was supposed to be held cited security concerns.
The Palais des Congres says in a statement it won't hold the meeting scheduled for Sept. 7 and 8.
The Parti Quebecois government had earlier asked Ottawa to block fundamentalist preachers from Europe from speaking at the conference.
The PQ says it's against the sexism of some conference participants who have reportedly said that not wearing the veil is worse than cancer.
The move comes as Quebec is embroiled in a debate over the accommodation of religious minorities.
Photo credit: flickriver.com