One year since Quebec election deadly shooting
Wednesday marked the one year anniversary of the Quebec election night shooting. On September 4th, 2012 Richard Henry Bain was arrested and charged with the first-degree murder of Denis Blanchette, a technician that was working at the Metropolis where the Parti Québécois was celebrating their election victory.
Blanchette was shot and killed while Premiere Pauline Marois was giving her victory speech, his colleague David Courage was also seriously injured.
The Minister in charge of the Montreal region, Jean-François Lisée, told CJAD that the shooting didn't affect the way the PQ government has approached the last year.
''The important thing about this sad event is that it did not reflect Quebec and it didn't change our way of doing things, other than increasing security for Premiere Marois for a few months. We've been through many debates about identity, values and independence with almost no violence.''
Richard Henry Bain appeared in court on Tuesday and was given until November 4th to find a lawyer. Bain says he's $60 000 in debt and cannot afford a lawyer, but he's been turned down for legal aid. A Montreal judge told Bain to contact various bar associations to see if they can recommend someone to represent him.
The judge will fix a trial date after November 4th. Bain faces 15 charges.
Photo: La Presse