UPDATE: Balloonist trying to cross Atlantic with 400 balloons ditches in Newfoundland
An American balloonist has abandoned his attempt to cross the Atlantic Ocean in a boat suspended by almost 400 balloons after experiencing technical problems over Newfoundland.
Police say Jonathan Trappe touched down Thursday at about 8 p.m. just south of York Harbour in western Newfoundland.
Cpl. Steve Henley says police received a call from the Joint Rescue Co-ordination Centre in Halifax indicating that Trappe was having trouble controlling the helium-filled balloons.
Henley says he is safe and was not hurt when he landed in the woods, where he planned to camp for the night and then make his way out.
The adventurer set out earlier in the day from Caribou, Maine, hoping to be the first person to make the crossing in the device that looks similar to one featured in the children's movie, ``Up.''
An online post on his site confirms that Trappe had to abandon the attempt just 12 hours after he lifted off.