Arrests made in MUHC bomb scares
Montreal police have made arrests in connection with the series of unfounded bomb scares over the past couple of months at the MUHC superhospital construction site.
Two suspects were arrested Tuesday in Laval's Chomedey district.Edison Saintil, 29, is charged with public mischief and making prank calls in connection with the bomb threats at the MUHC as well as the Ste Justine hospital construction sites.The other suspect has not yet been named. He is charged with drug possession and so far, is not being linked to the case.
The Journal de Montreal reports that Saintil is a high-ranking member of the Rouges street gang and that the second is closely associated with Chenier Dupuy, reputed leader of the Bo-Gars gang who was killed in August of last year in the parking lot of the Galeries d'Anjou.
"To be honest with you, I'm not going to comment on that but you're not wrong. It's close to Chenier Dupuy. These two people who have been apprehended, they're well known street gang members," Montreal police commander Ian Lafrenière told CJAD 800 News.
The Journal also reports that the motive involved a frustrated construction contractor who contacted the mafia and criminal biker gangs for help and that`s when they allegedly brought in street gang members.
"For the moment it's impossible for us to establish exactly what was the motive. Why was it dones? Were they hired by someone? It's possible but we don't have any confirmation," Lafrenière said.
Eighteen bomb threats were called in between May and August. Police say the calls were placed at public phone booths around the island. Thousands of construction workers had to be forced off the job sites which were paralyzed during the operations.
The investigation continues and police expect to make more arrests.
Photo: CJAD 800 News archives