Coroner: cell phone did not kill metro user last April
A coroner’s report released Wednesday says the young woman, who walked between two metro cars and fell to her death last April 19, was not on her cell phone, contrary to popular belief.
Reports following the death of 20-year-old Audrey-Anne Dumont said it was her cell phone that distracted her but the coroner, Catherine Rudel-Tessier says that’s not the case.
“She was not texting or talking on the phone, that is clear in the STM video,” Rudel-Tessier told CJAD. “She did look distracted but her phone was found in her pocket, no texts or calls were sent or received while she was at the station, we think she could have been listening to music.”
That STM video shows the metro arriving at around 8 AM at Monk station, the doors open and Dumont tries to walk in but her left leg falls off the platform as her right hand tries to grab onto the metro. No one notices as she disappears and the metro takes off again. The emergency brakes were not triggered.
The metro driver signalled a technical problem two metro stations later, exiting his car, he noticed a burnt smell and found her body on the tracks, which had been dragged under the wagon.
The coroner’s report rules out suicide and says no traces of drugs and alcohol were found.
The AZUR metros that the STM will introduce in 2014 will not have spaces between the cars, which the coroner says, could avoid accidents like this one.