Dorval youth who shot brother to death enters sentencing phase
The sentencing phase begins for the 13-year-old Dorval youth who pleaded guilty earlier this month to shooting his older brother at their home in January.
The court hearing was about an hour in when it was put off until tomorrow so the crown can file documents related to her arguments that the judge should be aware of possible aggravating factors in deciding the fate of the youth.
"They're very important (...), just to explain the facts to which he pleaded guilty and the position of the prosecution, the facts that we wanted the judge to take into account for the sentencing," crown prosecutor Marie-Claude Bourassa.
The youth pleaded guilty on September 5 to criminal negligence in the Jan. 21 shooting death of his 16-year-old brother, as well unrelated charges of armed robbery and theft that occurred about three weeks before the incident. A manslaughter charge was dropped in exchange.
The boy's lawyer indicated she'll be making a new request for bail, since, she said, the pre-sentencing report could take as much as six weeks to prepare.
The boy's mother, father and grandfather sat at the front of the courtroom while he sat by his lawyer. The 13-year-old, wearing a grey and white striped sweater over a shirt and tie, appeared calm and said nothing during the hearing.