Ethics attack a "good thing": Bergeron
Projet Montreal leader Richard Bergeron says an ethics complaint against his Projet Montreal party is actually good news.
He told reporters this morning the "unverified" attacks are a sign his opponents in the city's Nov. 3 election are growing worried of Projet Montreal's successes so far during the election campaign.
"For the ones who are atacked by their oppoents, usually it means that there are reasons for that, and the reason is that things are going too well from their [opponent's] point of view," said the Montreal mayoralty candidate, adding that party members gleaned no profit from the alleged embezzlement of public funds.
An anonymous complaint was registered Aug. 30 with the Montreal police municipal integrity squad (EPIM). It requested police investigate about $36,000 in public funding given to Plateau Milieu de Vie, a citizen's group created by Projet Montreal members in 2010, to help build a permanent kiosk for a seasonal fruit stand in the Plateau borough and subsequently purchase produce for the market stands.
Bergeron says while attacks are to be expected during an election campaign, he wasn't expecting any after two weeks of official campaigning.
"We were waiting for these [kinds of] attacks closer to the end of the campaign. We were surprised to see them being so early in the campaign, because that means that what we feel for this campaign probably [our opponents] feel the same thing: Projet Montreal is doing very well, and seen from their point of view Projet Montreal is doing too well."
"This is good news for us, that means our opponents are afraid of us, and that's good."
Photo: Andrew Brennan