Mother upset after 11-year-old's run-in with police

Eva Drakos is upset. The Mile End mother says her 11-year-old son, Elias Pyrros, still isn't over an experience with police on the afternoon of Nov. 23.

Elias was playing with a toy gun in an alley near him home near the corner of Parc Ave. and Fairmount St., when police arrived, responding to a call

They approached my child, they drew their guns, they told my child to freeze," Drakos says. "My child did what they said...and after they took his gun, they handcuffed my child. And they put my child in a vehicle. Handcuffed."

At one point, Drakos says no less than five police cars responded to the call; their officers with guns drawn.

"If my child moved, my child would have been shot to death. He would have been dead."

Drakos says her son is still traumatized from the incident, and intends to file a complaint.

"My child cries, my child has fear, my child cannot sleep."

She's due to meet with noted human rights lawyer Julius Grey on Friday.

1. RarePearls posted on 12/05/2013 08:25 PM
    It is horrible that this happened to this little boy. But playing outside with a toy gun is asking for trouble. Nobody knows that it's a toy. Those people that saw him and called police thought it was a real gun. Best to play with toys of that nature inside the safety of their own home.
  2. clint posted on 12/06/2013 06:39 AM
    With all the gun incidents that have happened here and abroad, the police can take no chances when they get a complaint about a "person" with a gun. When they arrive on scene they have no idea what they are facing. I am sorry that the young lad was scared out of his pants....but i think the police did what they had to do.
    1. Mahalo posted on 12/06/2013 07:52 AM
      @clint Would you think the same had it been your child? We're talking about an 11 year old, was it really necessary to handcuff him?
      I agree, you see someone with a gun call the police, but, once they were there...(5 units) did they not notice the gun was a toy before handcuffing him?
  3. MeNotYou posted on 12/06/2013 08:28 AM
    If none of these commenters were once upon a time little boys who played "cops and robbers" or "cowboys and Indians", or any other myriad games little boys played, then you have no context from which pontificate.
    Toy guns are all clearly evident - either by their color, or a bright orange cap on the muzzle, or their shape. Anyone with a passing familiarity with firearms can easily spot the differences. Replica firearms cost hundreds of dollars, and even then, they all have bright orange muzzles for identification. I don't think this child had a $400 toy to play with.
    Which also shows that police are not weapons experts and their badge does not automatically confer upon them some sort of Jedi-like knowledge or responsibility when it comes to firearms.
    1. G posted on 12/06/2013 09:26 AM
      @MeNotYou I used to play with toy guns when I was a kid. Yes at the time it was clearly evident that they were toy guns but then again, we painting the orange tip of the barrel black. From a distance, you wouldn't know that it's a fake.

I think the people who called the police did the right thing and I think the police did the right thing to show up. What is wrong is what they did when they realized the gun was a toy. That boy did not deserve to get cuffed and thrown into the squad car. If anyone is to blame for this incident, it's the parents allowing their child to play with a toy gun out in plain sight but worse than that is how this boy was bullied by the police.
    2. clint posted on 12/06/2013 10:07 AM
      @MeNotYou "little boys who played "cops and robbers" or "cowboys and Indians"
      been there ...done that....was a different era....now you can "print" your own gun with a 3d printer....whatever color u want.
  4. A mom posted on 12/06/2013 11:50 AM
    After Sandy Hook and all the news around the world, I think the police did the right thing.
    Safety first.
  5. nancy posted on 12/06/2013 01:47 PM
    as it may sound extreme, what if the gun were real? what if your child was exposed to another child playing with a real gun (bad intention or not)? would you question the police reaction then? would the police reaction be so extreme at that point? the police had no idea if it is real or not. they responded to a call that gave people a reason to be alarmed. in today's world...safe is better than sorry...

I feel for the child who was traumatized by the incident...but, i feel safe in knowing that the police did not take this as a joke...and reacted accordingly. with that said, children should not be playing with toy guns...for their own protection, and others.

I hope this child can get better and feel safe again. i hope that he can understand (sooner than later) why the police reacted the way they did...and that he can find comfort in that fact that the police would have been there to protect him had there been someone with a real gun. i am glad the child is safe and sound...and I am thankful for the police keeping our streets safe - especially in the tough moments and decisions they face everyday.
    1. Think posted on 12/10/2013 05:04 PM
      @nancy That's true. What if it WERE a real gun. So they approached the child, drew their guns and told him to 'freeze'. As long as they kept their muzzles in a safe direction (though in a city, what direction would that be?). Then again, based on "If my child moved, my child would have been shot to death. He would have been dead" sounds like they were ready to kill. So now they've got the kid...they have obviously taken away the toy at this point and verified in fact that it is a toy. So instead of telling the little scamp 'hey kid, I know you're just playing, but maybe outside, with a gun that looks that real...not such a good idea! Please, take your toy and only play with it indoors.' But that's not what these guys did. They hand cuffed him, and put him in the back of a squad car, and treated him like a criminal for playing with toys that in all likelihood they played with as well (and apparently currently do as well). They were not trying to teach him a lesson unless the lesson was, cops are irresponsible gun users, and bullies. That's the only lesson he should be getting from this. Stop making excuses for bad cops, making bad decisions.
  6. Paul posted on 12/09/2013 08:37 AM
    Parents who let kids play on the streets with a toy gun that looks real enough to warrant a call to police haven't thought things through and are irresponsible.

Police who handcuff a child after they take a toy away are irresponsible as well. They were probably trying to teach the kid a lesson but went about it the wrong way.
  7. Sean posted on 12/11/2013 10:47 AM
    I personally dislike the police officers of Montreal, they really push everything to farthest extent of the law and claim everything to be "protocol", and in this case the officers are claiming on wether it was a real gun or not, but if considering the fact that the boy was merely eleven years old, and fully cooperating with the police, was it really necessary to handcuff him and put him in a squad car? Any child fears adults that are not only yelling at him but have them at gun point instructing them to put the gun down. So was there any need to go further than that? HE'S ELEVEN YOU FOOLS! he probably wet his pants by the end of it and the added fear of the trauma he just went through will scar him for a really long time!

I'm sorry but these officers were never kids nor do they respect the idea of "PROTECT AND SERVE" they were definitely not serving, they were simply using their power to bully an eleven year old kid under the veil of "what if it was a real gun?." That's total BS and I hope that mother receives her justice against them.