WATCH: Black family in Brossard accuses police of abusive behaviour

A black family in Brossard is accusing Longueuil police of racial profiling and abusive behavior.

Nineteen-year-old Nathan Picard and his 17-year-old step-brother Tyrell Jacobs say Longueuil police stopped them, grabbing them and asking for ID as they were crossing in the middle of the street heading home at 1:00am.

Picard says he got hit in the back for asking what was going on.

"I said that's assault, what did I do, what did I do wrong. You shouldn't be hitting me and then he grabbed me and flipped me and threw me onto the ground," he said.

The boys were ticketed for jaywalking and obstruction of justice.

Their mother, Dominique Jacobs, says the abuse continued when police brought the boys home, barging into the house, looking around with a flashlight and using offensive language.

She says her boys were targetted because they were black kids sporting a hoodie, a cap and a backpack.

"I feel that what was done was unacceptable and I feel that they should be held accountable and I would like racial profiling to stop."

1. joeN posted on 12/05/2013 12:50 PM
    Muscle head cops, steroids affecting their judgement. Unless they had a call for break and entry in the area, what gives these cops the right to treat people like garbage? Again, this part of the Quebecois mindset, your not like me so we have the right to walk over you.
    1. infotrad posted on 12/05/2013 06:16 PM
      @joeN In other words, you believe everything the kids said about the police? Do you really believe that in this day and age the police would get away acting like this if they were as innocent as they purport to be?
  2. Steve posted on 12/05/2013 01:20 PM
    Meanwhile thousands of other black kids wearing hoodies and baseball caps live their lives without being harassed and targeted by police. Ever.
    1. Gary Whittaker posted on 12/05/2013 03:37 PM
      @Steve Obviously Steve isn't black...and well said ignorance is still ignorance.
    2. AnneM posted on 12/05/2013 03:47 PM
      @Steve Spoken like a true non visible minority who has never experienced police profiling and discrimination.
  3. ric posted on 12/05/2013 03:13 PM
    There are 3 sides to every story. Their side, the cops' side then there's the truth. This is only one side, let's not get exited, we weren't there. They were jaywalking, they got ticketed. Was there obstruction, we don't know. They brought them home, good. If they barged in the house, that's wrong. They need a warrant for that. 19 and 17 years old at 1:00 am, don't they go to school?
  4. DonD_2 posted on 12/06/2013 12:24 PM
    knowing kids today they probably were swearing and talking tough saying they know their right s and by the way what were they doing out at that hour kids today do what thet want because they know there are no repercussions
  5. Lynn posted on 12/10/2013 10:35 AM
    I believe that the Police have a job to do and that they must always do it with respect. Maybe the masses would have more respect for the law if those upholding it acted with tact instead of unwarranted intimidation. There is no place for the ego in law enforcement but unfortunately power is a great corrupter of moral judgement.