Some downtown retailers hurting after holiday season

As the biggest shopping season wraps up, some downtown retailers are left disappointed with the sales results.

One downtown jewellery retailer told CJAD holiday sales were down 85 percent compared to last year.

“Sales dropped in December, we ended up having a catastrophic holiday season, it has been extremely bad, one of the worst on record,” Jason Cormier, an employee at the store, told CJAD.

Cormier said that while their downtown location was hard hit, off island stores saw a peak, which he says, indicates a change in Montrealers shopping habits.

“There is not a lot of shopping going on downtown but we can see the contrast because we have jewellery stores set up in malls, on the south shore and in Quebec City, and they’re actually doing very well.”

Cormier said that while the weather could have stopped some shoppers most of his customers complained about coming downtown because of traffic and parking.

1. Mario posted on 12/30/2013 09:17 AM
    No parking, ticket hungry city, poor infrastructure, why go to Montreal.. I goto carrefour laval where theres free yes free underground parking, plenty of outdoor parking space and free again, and beautiful women too. Also many stores surround the shopping center and Costco is right near there..

Montreal shopping sucks, sad to say but a reality!!
  2. jonathan posted on 12/30/2013 10:45 AM
    I agree with the comment in the story "most of his customers complained about coming downtown because of traffic and parking". You can say I don't live that far from downtown however the last time that I purposely went to downtown to purchase something has been quite a long time, I'd say about 10 years. Take note City of Montreal politicians I simply find the concept of paying for parking to purchase something not logical. To this affect the outrageous amount that is charged for parking. For myself the straw that broke the camel's back was when Sunday free parking was terminated. Listen up City of Montreal politicians here's an idea to get more people to shop in Downtown, allow free parking on evening's for Thursday and Friday and free all day parking on Saturday's and Sunday's. You'll be surprised of the results, i.e.: maybe more shoppers will come into the downtown core which would result in more tax revenue being generated. This is just my opinion but what do I know I'm just a shopper that shops at shopping malls now because it's called FREE PARKING ! ! !
  3. peter posted on 12/30/2013 12:55 PM
    Perhaps now various levels of government will understand, that road conditions, parking , and transit have to be made a great deal better before people will go downtown.City hall is killing downtown and making people pay tolls on roads from the burbs will be the final nail
  4. Ian posted on 12/30/2013 04:05 PM
    Meanwhile it appears that people also avoided shopping at Fairview likely due to the boycott that was widely publicized in media.

The boycott has worked quite well as The Bay now has bilingual signs and CBC reported that Fairview itself is now encouraging its retailers to post bilingual signs.

If people have not been shopping downtown and boycotting Fairview I imagine that Plattsburgh and Burlington's merchants have been doing very well!
  5. More BS posted on 01/03/2014 10:24 AM
    The lat time I parked in the city I got a ticket with 10 minutes left on the meter. The fat green onion disappeared into the Faubourg. I told a police officer that was nearby and he said to me that they do this all the time but it was out of his hands. That was the last time I shopped in town.
  6. Adam posted on 01/04/2014 08:43 AM
    I will shop downtown if I am in the area, but to go downtown to shop is just insane.

It either costs via a 30-45 minute metro ride, assuming they're working. Or it costs like $20 in parking for a few hours. Forget renewing your parking via remote, it's a fresh time every time you sneeze at the meters.

Why would you shop downtown if the same merchants and services can be obtained outside the core?