It seems no one was around when a deadly fire broke out Saturday at a St Lazare kennel.
The local fire department says 18 dogs died of smoke inhalation.
"At the time, we didn't have contact with the owner of the place, there was nobody on site. Finally, we worked out with neighbors to get a hold of the owners and they showed up, maybe an hour later", St Lazare fire chief Daniel Boyer told CJAD News.
Boyer adds the owner was devasted.
Some firefighters were also devasted.
"We have a few firefighters who are dog lovers and they had trouble with the the scene", said Boyer.
Provincial police said an electrical problem triggered the blaze on Montee St Robert.
Boyer added it took about 30 firefighters a half hour to put out the fire.
There's word some dog owners have hired a lawyer.