If you don't like the charter, get out: Yves Michaud

LE SOLEIL

Longtime separatist Yves Michaud has some harsh words for people who are upset with the PQ's secularism charter: pack your bags and leave.

Michaud, who in a 2000 radio interview denounced Jews as acting like "they're the only people who suffered in the history of humanity" — and earned himself an official condemnation in the National Assembly for it — made his pro-charter statement just days before public hearings on it are set to begin.

In a recent interview, he says minister Bernard Drainville needs to maintain a hard line in the face of the charter's opponents. A secular society, he says, should make no compromises to accommodate whichever set of religious beliefs.

He also says it wouldn't bother him if any public employee got fired for wearing a kippa or a hijab or any other religious symbol on the job. Those who refuse to leave their religious clothing "in the closet", he says, should move "to a country where it's tolerated."

Three former PQ premiers, Lucien Bouchard, Jacques Parizeau and Bernard Landry, have already come out against some of the more controversial aspects of the charter — particularly, the provision which bans public employees from wearing religious symbols in the workplace.

The public hearings get underway on Jan. 14.

showing 25 comments · show all comments · Subscribe to comments
  1. Ray S posted on 01/08/2014 05:24 PM
    Yves who?
  2. George73 posted on 01/08/2014 05:26 PM
    This guy appears to be quite old. He'll likely be able to benefit from Federal transfer payments for the remainder of his lifespan while still espousing policies that would leave the generations below him in poverty.

This guy and his views are irrelevant to Quebec and Canada. Unless of course he refuses all benefits that are funded in part or whole by transfer payments. If not, then he needs to shut up and stop being a hypocrite..
  3. LynneM_3103 posted on 01/08/2014 05:33 PM
    Seriously - I would like to see what he would say if someone got fired for wearing a cross - like a nun or a priest - because he didn't mention those - just the kippah and the hijab. Would he stick to his resolve, or would the tide turn? hmmmm.....
  4. wmp posted on 01/08/2014 05:47 PM
    I got out of Quebec in 1996 because of people like Yves Michaud. Now I can speak any language I wish, work for any company I want and wear any religious symbol I want. My tax dollars go to improving my quality of life, not being spent on the stupidity of enforcing idiotic laws to put the Quebecers back to the feudal stone age.
  5. Gary K posted on 01/08/2014 05:55 PM
    Yves Michaud,

A lot of these people where living in Quebec before you where even born and before you ran for office. So I think your the one who should be packing, not them. What a dumb ass comment for him to make.
  6. Kevin O'Connell posted on 01/08/2014 06:03 PM
    This kind of disrespect and intolerance for other's beliefs and values is no less than despicable. I know this is a PQ maneuver to create anger and division between us in order to increase their chance on some votes but it is obvious and won't win over sensible people in the long run. As long as we are talking about the chart we are not asking the questions about how they plan to accomplish independence in a specifique manner.
  7. JohnH- posted on 01/08/2014 06:25 PM
    Old minded people like him and Jacques Parizeau and Bernie Landry will fall by the wayside through human attrition. Remember these were the same people that couldn't wait to go to church on Sunday. It just took them a hundred years to wake-up. Now they have a new religion the, PQ. Well maybe in another hundred years... The world is waiting.
  8. Gerry posted on 01/08/2014 06:33 PM
    This guy is a relic of the past, much like much of the views separatists have now this day. Out with the old and in with the new I say. This crippled old man is a pest to a society with more potential than most people realize. If I was in charge I would turn this mess into the most booming and fast forwarding society in the world. Of that, I would stake my life on it.
  9. Darryl lesser cw posted on 01/08/2014 06:57 PM
    I took his advice last movement and I should have done it 20 years a go, best move I ever made !!!!!
  10. Reginald White posted on 01/08/2014 07:02 PM
    I think Mr Michaud should sit down and shut up. It is this kind of narrow minded assenine thinking that can do no good whatsoever. Mme Marois has previously stated that she wants a Quebec that is open and inviting to people who want to be the best that they can be. But then she backs this CHARTER OF STUPDITY ...what side of the fence are these people on anyway.....OH and in case I forgot ....MR MICHAUD......SIT DOWN AND SHUT UP!!!!!
  11. Eric posted on 01/08/2014 07:40 PM
    To: Longtime separatist Yves Michaud:

When this charter fails to become law and it will, if you don't like that, well... Pack your bags and leave!!!!!!

A very sad excuse of a human being. Let's not be mad at him, let's just pity him for being how he is!
    1. Alex Hankewicz posted on 01/08/2014 09:38 PM
      @Eric Are these people still relevant who cares what this bitter old windbag thinks.
  12. nic connich posted on 01/08/2014 07:51 PM
    Yves Michaud is just a senile old man. In case he has forgotten , Quebec is NOT a country, it is a part of Canada . In this COUNTRY religious clothing IS tolerated . If he doesn't like it, perhaps HE should pack and leave. (That is if anyone will take him)
  13. George Grummett posted on 01/08/2014 08:22 PM
    Another golden opportunity to keep quiet was just missed.
  14. Brian posted on 01/08/2014 09:13 PM
    My impoverished Irish and British ancestors came to Quebec 150 years ago and worked hard to better themselves and Quebec, including service in two world wars. The visible presence and influence of religious and ethnic traditions enrich our society. That's why my practicing Catholic family is against the proposed discriminatory charter. It is against Quebec values and our family values. Mr. Michaud: leave Quebec; you do not understand your own province and your lack of respect for visible religious minorities, who have been in Quebec for generations, is regrettable.
  15. ric posted on 01/08/2014 09:55 PM
    Come and tell me to my face you racist separatist scum!!!
  16. Mike d posted on 01/08/2014 09:57 PM
    Don't worry about him. He is 83 so he will not be around much longer anyway. Salut mon vieux.
  17. Hypocrisy posted on 01/08/2014 10:20 PM
    The hypocrisy is astounding. Do these fools realize that under the charter they would have to abolish the Quebec flag? Since it is a religious symbol and all. The white cross is on all countries flags that are based on Catholicism, the Fleur-de-lis symbolizes the Virgin Mary and the color blue was used to symbolize heaven. Someone should inform these idiots of these facts, because it's c;early a christian flag, A secular state my ass, if they are flying a religious flag. Morons.
  18. mary t posted on 01/08/2014 10:35 PM
    M. Michaud I left 15 years ago and not a moment too soon. I do note that Quebecers continue to enjoy the many fruits of anglophone and allophone labour-McGill, The Neurological Institute, the irreplaceable stately houses in Montreal - I could continue.
    Good luck. I would recommend some travel abroad some time-
    1. Jules posted on 01/09/2014 11:44 AM
      @mary t I agree 100%. Travel a little. expand your horizons and when you come back to the village that is Quebec, you suddenly realize how "trivial" this nonsense really is. Left a decade ago... best move ever
  19. Max posted on 01/08/2014 10:42 PM
    I hope to nominate Michaud to the GTA chamber of commerce, for his outstanding contribution to the greater Toronto and environs economy. He's accomplishing more
    than any mayor of premier of Ontario, could dream of ! To all of them, from Lesvque to Marois, thank you, thank you, for all you just keep on giving !
  20. Doug Churchill posted on 01/08/2014 11:14 PM
    I have no problem with this charter. But it works both ways. Either fall in line with the rest of Canada or get the hell out. What is good for the goose is good for the gander.
  21. sam posted on 01/09/2014 12:51 AM
    Quoting Michaud is Quebec bashing. Many Quebecers are not like him. Many Quebecers are not xenophobes, not ethnonationalists, not right wing.
    1. steve posted on 01/09/2014 08:07 AM
      @sam That is a asinine comment, I hope it was made before you had your first cup of coffee?
      What you have said has made me think of a parallel though - saying anything remotely critical of the separatists or any of their mean spirited ideology and you are a 'Quebec Basher'. This is brilliant, but hardly original. Critics of Israel did the same parlour trick and now anyone critical of that state is labeled 'anti-semite'.
      Whats good for the goose is good for the gander I suppose.
    2. Quebec-basher posted on 01/09/2014 08:31 AM
      @sam Huh? By what leap of logic did you make that foolish statement? Oh, you must be working for the PQ to think that twisted.
  22. Louis Fairweather posted on 01/09/2014 04:33 AM
    I despise the proposed charter in principal. However, I find "white canadian" folk to be disengenous. I live in a province that doesn't realize I'm an immigrant until I tell them....and you know ... deep down some people here feel the same way as some quebecers....ask a torontonian (behind closed doors) about brampton...or a vancouverite about the asian community....or an RCMP officer about wearing a turban....There is an undercurrent of discrimination accross the country....yet, I find it quite funny that people call themselves defenders of "freedom of religious expression".... Come on folks ....We all know that religious people are hypocrites.
    1. Frank. Moscato posted on 01/11/2014 06:49 AM
      @Louis Fairweather Canadians are on the whole welcoming to immigrants and that is true in all provinces, but to have a state " Quebec" propose a law such as the "Charter of Values" is another matter. It's government discrimination against individual religious values. Someone once said that" denying minorities there rights is not a democratic state. And to have Mr. Michaud tell them to move elsewhere is arrogant and ignorant. Many of the these people were born here several generations ago and are Canadian born and to be told" if you don't like it get out" is damn insulting. Mr. Michaud and his ilk denied my family access to French schools back in the 30's, 40's and now he blames immigrants for not conforming to Quebec society. Give me a break!
  23. More BS posted on 01/09/2014 06:03 AM
    Born a buffoon , die a buffoon.
  24. Nicola T. posted on 01/09/2014 06:12 AM
    Not even a member of the National Assembly, censored by the Assembly for anti-Semitic opinions. Who cares what he thinks?
  25. Isaac S. posted on 01/09/2014 08:02 AM
    Dear Yves

If everyone who disagreed with you left Quebec, what do you think would be left of it?? A very much impoverished "nation", with a broken economy, and no tax base with which to pursue these foolish initiatives to "purify" the Province!!!
showing 1-25 of 39 comments · show all comments