Details surrounding the kennel fire that killed 18 dogs over the holidays were released in a report today by the St. Lazare fire department.
The 30-page report shows the 9-1-1 call was made at around 7:30 on the evening of Dec. 28. Firefighters found no smoke detectors or fire extinguishers on site, and when firefighters arrived, they had to break open the garage doors, because no one was home to mind the dogs.
The municipality confirmed that the kennel did not have a permit to operate. The mayor, Robert Grimodo, says they will try to prevent situations like this from ever happening again.
"It's obviously a very sad situation for the people that have lost their pets," he says. "The onus is always on the people who are asking for the service."
The report says the fire probably started in a wall next to an electrical panel, but they aren't confirming it was the panel itself that caused the fire.
There will be a candlelight ceremony for the dogs at the Hudson shopping centre in Vaudreuil-Dorion on Thursday, Jan. 16.