A total of seven people have fallen ill — one of them remains in critical condition — after eating in a Montreal restaurant last month.
Seems they ate some raw meat contaminated with E. coli at the Marche 27 restaurant on Prince Arthur St.
The owner of the Marche 27 restaurant, Jason Masso, tells CTV Montreal he's confident the problem with the meat didn't originate at his restaurant; that it came from somewhere else at some point during the processing stage for the meat.
Nonetheless, he is taking responsibility for the problem, and says he's devastated.
"I haven't been sleeping in a few days and I have to find a way to make it up to them," Masso says. "It's not necessarily my fault, but I am to blame. They came to eat at my restaurant, and it's something I take to heart."
For those unfamiliar with steak tartare, it is from raw meat, but CJAD's Dr. Joe Schwarcz tells CJAD's Andrew Carter it is safe to eat — and very delicious.
"When steak tartare is prepared properly from a fine cut of meat, under clean conditions, the risk of bacterial contamination is very, very small," Dr. Schwarcz says.
Quebec's agriculture, fisheries, and food ministry won't name the restaurant in question, but they do suggest there is no current contamination.
Masso also says the restaurant continues to draw crowds, and that people continue to order the steak tartare.