Fight in Montreal high school leaves 12-year-old with broken chin and jaw

Mother upset school didn't call 9-1-1

Kyle Mcwhirter

An alleged assault by a student at Lasalle Community Comprehensive high school has left a 12-year-old boy with his mouth wired shut for at least the next two months. Some of his teeth were knocked out and his chin and jaw are broken.

Kyle Mcwhirter was allegedly choked, until he passed out, during a physical altercation with a classmate — a boy his mother calls a bully.

Crystal McWhirter says, what's worse, is her son spent an hour in the office before being taken to the hospital and the school didn't call police.

“My son Kyle could have lost his life! And that’s why I want this story to be heard, I want people to know that violence in schools is not being taken seriously, something needs to be done,” she said.

UPDATE

The principal of the school denies the allegation that McWhirter was targeted calling the incident "horsing around". The principal also suggests school officials acted swiftly and responsibly.

Meanwhile the mother of the alleged attacker suggests, on Facebook, that her son is the one who was being bullied and that McWhirter initiated the altercation.

1. joeN posted on 01/17/2014 02:59 PM
    Public schools don't deal with bullying. They spew alot of public announcements against bullying but in reality they can't deal with it, too many kids with many problems. This school has gone from a great educational institution in the 80's to an outright dump to avoid today.
  2. Richard posted on 01/17/2014 09:36 PM
    Sorry
    I dont buy the Mothers story
  3. JohnM posted on 01/18/2014 09:29 AM
    A fight like with those kinds of results needs to involve the police. I hope the mother lays charges it's the only way to keep her kid safe from further attacks.
  4. anomumous posted on 01/18/2014 11:24 AM
    i heard both sides and i think there are making this kyle kid out to be the victim when he was bullying the other kid and the kid was defending him self but it doesnt make it right for the kid tto do that to him he should have went to the principal
  5. John posted on 01/19/2014 09:32 PM
    Dear JoeN,

Your comment couldn't be more ignorant, nieve, and further from the truth to honestly believe bullying doesn't happen in private schools. School is getting a bad name because of a few misbehaved and probably disruptive students.I happen to know this school does amazing things for its community which go unnoticed by the media and many students go on to lead very successful careers.

Your perception of this school couldn't be more wrong. You should be ashamed to say such a thing!
  6. Zooglue posted on 01/22/2014 11:54 PM
    I graduated from this high school not too log ago and I am both shocked and saddened by this incident. This is not the high school I remember it to be and in my time an incident like this would never have occurred. I know that Kyle is not innocent but how did the teacher and staff let the bullying get so bad that a child had to resort to this in order to defend himself. Seriously bullying is becoming a serious problem and there needs to be action taken against it.