WATCH: Video of family's presentation at charter hearings goes viral

Among those who turned up during the first week of public hearings on the PQ's proposed secularism charter — three members of the same family who appeared somewhat puzzled by Muslim customs on their travels abroad — and who appear worried about those customs coming to Quebec.

"Praying on all fours on little carpets, what is that?" Geneviève Caron told the hearings this past week, as she told of a visit to a mosque in Morocco, which she says she was "marked by".

A little later on, the video shows Claude Pineault — also appearing before the hearings as a private citizen — telling of two masked pickpockets he came across in Morocco. "Who was under those disguises, women? Men? I don't know. All I know is that it's unthinkable to allow people to walk around like that in Quebec — on the streets, in public places, anywhere."

Later on, he told of hearing of a call to prayer at a mosque in Istanbul, which he called "disturbing", and in the next breath, he told of how he doesn't feel as safe as he once did in the streets of Montreal, with all the street gangs.

He adds some opportunistic politicians "are ready to have us go back a thousand years or more with religious wars."

"I'm not at all racist," he concludes.

1. ROYV posted on 01/17/2014 05:35 PM
    Racist?,, No .
    Ignorant?,,,,Yes!! His Opinion,,,maybe they should vacation in Florida instead .

I was only just embarrassed by the government of Quebec for their ridiculous "pastagate" and "We don't speak English here" incidents.
    I am appalled and humiliated that we have such ignorance in the "pur laine" of Quebec who owe their well being in part to the immigrants that the PQ ask for and allowed in then forced them to learn their(pq) preferred language and customs.
    We have done so and very well at that , we are more bilingual than we have ever been.
    A definition of a free society might be in order ,one that Includes people not Excludes.
    A brazen attempt at manipulation and distraction from a Government that is avoiding they issues for their own benefit.
    I still stand up for a free Quebec and will continue to do so even though I was born somewhere else.
  2. Jim posted on 01/17/2014 06:27 PM
    WOW!!!!! The degree of ignorance is staggering to me and makes me feel embarrassed to say that I am a Quebecer. There are those Quebecois, who claim that by virtue of the fact that they are well travelled in the world, that they speak with an educated, open perspective; however, this demonstrates that one can wear one's colored glasses where ever they go nonetheless. It is reminiscent of the ignorance of many American travellers that had been well known throughout the world to the point where they had been generally hated and even feared for their lives. Some even wore an emblem of the maple leaf, passing themselves of as Canadian, so as to fear less of retribution while travelling. Thanks Quebec and Harper for taking that away from us. To further validate these perspectives by giving them equal opportunity for expression in a public forum without rebuttal, will only further act to fuel the flames of hate that is progressively growing in Quebec.
  3. MarjorieM_6823 posted on 01/17/2014 07:21 PM
    I am embarrassed for these two ignoramusus.
    1. Geo posted on 01/22/2014 11:17 PM
      @MarjorieM_6823 100% agree. I am glad I am not related to them. They set the racism clock back 100 years.
  4. Srtan posted on 01/17/2014 08:59 PM
    I believe this man when he claims he is not a racist. He is a simpleton - he represents a class of people out of touch with the current global reality. His ignorance is childlike and would otherwise be innocuous; but in quebec this uneducated one dimensional view of the world is encouraged and rewarded. These are an unworldly people, these Quebeckers.His reaction can be likened to South American tribes witnessing the first arrival of Spanish ships: bewilderment and fear.

Our current provincial government, on the other hand, is blatantly and completely racist.
  5. CJ posted on 01/17/2014 11:22 PM
    Did I hear these people correctly???? What rock did they pull those three out from under...She is afraid of someone with a prayer mat???? and she is not afraid of the pope walking around with his giant hat...Really???? How much did the PQ pay these people to come out of the concern closet to do this...WOW! It really is us versus them...
  6. Daniel posted on 01/17/2014 11:34 PM
    Here they are Madame Marios, your true Quebecois.
    You must be so proud, so, so proud....
  7. maria posted on 01/18/2014 07:20 AM
    and these are the farmers and racist's we have to deal with , These are the votes that the PQ is aiming for, give me a break . I am very very surprised that the people present in these meetings who think logicaly did not burst out laughing. Because this is a joke. At one point they showed Drainville , and I think he was actualy holding back his laughter, because I do not think even he believed what was comming out of these peoples mouth's. What a waste of money and time, I do not understand why the harper Gov.does not step in and just put a stop to this. What an embarassment we are to the world, especially with New York doing the complete opposite of what we are doing. We are going to be ashamed to be going out of this province because of this stigma that the PQ has just labeled us with.

HARPER PROVE YOURSELF DO SOMETHING!!!!!!!!!!
  8. LMAO posted on 01/18/2014 07:46 AM
    I don't think they are racist at all, just extremely ignorant of the world outside of Quebec. Proof that the Xenophobic propaganda is working and another dark stain on the province. What is needed is a re-think of the world geography and history that is taught in the schools in Quebec.
    If they had be able to study world history they would know that street gangs are a social problem and almost always exist in places where that part of the population has little job opportunities and poor social programs- sound familiar?? The worst street gang in Quebec and Canadian history was not from overseas it was home grown here in Quebec.
    Strangley though, they are less prevalent in the very place that they have targeted in their address.
  9. Caroleo posted on 01/18/2014 08:29 AM
    "Mais y sont don' ben niaiseux!"
    Please don't let these people travel anywhere out of Quebec again lest the world thinks all Quebecers are this ignorant and stupid!
  10. Mari posted on 01/18/2014 10:42 AM
    I am shocked! Not by the comments of these poor uneducated people who don't seem to have a clue that there is a world out there with different religions and different cultures. I am shocked by the Charter who allow these 3 to represent their Quebequers. Many Quebequers are educated with university degrees. I congratulate Madame Marois! She will succeed in scaring off those who help build Quebec for what it is. Not Racist? Really? Really?
  11. Gracie posted on 01/18/2014 11:47 AM
    Oh my. If these people are the only ones that the PQ government can find that would exhibit support for their beloved Charter, it speaks volume for those that do not.. Uneducated, inarticulate and cynical points of view from the core simpletons at its best. What the hell were they doing visiting a mosque anyway? What exactly did they expect - magic carpets and genies? Pathetic.
  12. Joe posted on 01/18/2014 12:19 PM
    Are these people for real? Seeing people pray on a carpet on all fours is insulting to them, and also the fact that they re praying in separate rooms. I am assuming had they been playing the spoons or something like that, it wouldn't have been so insulting to them. well these look like people who shouldn't be allowed to leave good old Quebec, coz these are the same people who cant live with the rest of Canada but desire to vist Morocco and a mosque to boot. And they have the nerve to testify and show the public how ignorant they really are. BUT let us remember now, the PQ needs the village idiots, and man o man these idiots could lead , they are so stupid.
  13. irene posted on 01/18/2014 12:23 PM
    Wow... My first impression was this was staged. But, then again, I have met very ignorant people before and was disturbed not by their ignorance (ignorance is "lack of knowledge"), but more disturbed that the ignorant person did not know that there is more out there than what's in their little bubble. None of what they said was disturbing to me, unless the pick-pockets were real... Canada is part of the New World. Canada is an immigration melting pot. Quebec opens its doors to immigration. I understand some conditions will apply where our laws prohibit things like wife-beating, weapons whether or not they are religious, or any act that will be consider an offense under our laws. This video illustrates how ignorant some people of Quebec are. I would like to know if this exists in other provinces? I seriously doubt it would be as bad as this.
  14. MaroisArnaudDrainville posted on 01/18/2014 12:25 PM
    Can we have three members of one family in the PQ cabinet at the same time or would that seem to be nepotism?
  15. Murray posted on 01/18/2014 12:48 PM
    An excellent example of the typical PQ voter. This is their base. Another reason for Montreal to pull away from the rest of Quebec.
    1. Charles posted on 01/21/2014 03:21 PM
      @Murray Your comment makes me want to puke. Montréal simply can't separate from the rest of Québec. It's our metropolis. And most people in Montréal feel québécois rather than Canadian. Taken out of context, it's easy to find stupid comments everywhere on the planet. Stupidity is endemic to humanity, not Québec only. Go travel!
  16. Sam posted on 01/18/2014 03:00 PM
    When nationalists talk about "Quebec bashing" , they ought to be referring to these situations and scenarios which hold up the province to ridicule. The real Quebec bashers are the perpetrators of this charter of valueless "values" and all supremacists who support its intolerances of minorities.
  17. AnnCarson posted on 01/18/2014 07:17 PM
    They are not the only simpletons in Canada, unfortunately they have been given the perfect forum to showcase their ignorance. There is no doubt that the PQ is targeting those votes, but that's almost always been their strategy. As a bilingual anglophone born and raised in Quebec, I've heard it all over the past 50 years.....it's really not their fault. Other than the occasional all inclusive trip to Cuba, a communist state by the way, the uneducated francophone has been brainwashed and oppressed by their "own" people just like in other countries.......I find it very sad.
  18. pat posted on 01/20/2014 11:53 AM
    OMG! can't believe it! do they actually let these people give their opinion? I work with french people and they as well disagree on these types of comments, unfortunately, the minority seems to get too much attention and its causing our Quebec image to get tarnished. When the time is right, I will, along with my family move away because I cant continue hearing these ridiculous remarks when half of our population is living under poverty and the government would rather waste time and money on these issues.
  19. Nica posted on 01/21/2014 10:41 AM
    Typical - everyone who comes to QC must adapt to my ways AND when I leave QC I fully expect everyone to adapt to me. O_o

It's pathetic but definitely not unique to this QC family, unfortunately.

What else can be said except, perhaps, hiring a lifeguard for the gene pool?
  20. aL posted on 01/22/2014 05:30 AM
    I know french people who are like these people..I would like to asked them when they saw the nuns and priest in their garbs walking the streets and teaching in schools and working in hospitals in Quebec were they afraid..When the nuns worked in hospitals we had the best care and the hospitals were clean. Their purpose was to care for the sick...What they should be afraid of is their own provincial government and losing their federal old age pensions..They traveled with a french guide who knows other languages because they can't speak an other language..One to one they are good french people who don't know better and are afraid to lose their culture and language yet their government immigrants these people who speak french but don't look like them. I am english and white and born here and yet they are still afraid of the english people and we live in Canada. Education is under the provincial government so take it from there... It should be called Quebecphobia. a disease that will be cured in a hundred years...Maybe.