PQ government tackling hypersexualisation of girls

Suzanne Proulx, Deputy Minister on the condition of the status of women

The Parti Quebecois is launching a series of forums to tackle the problem of hypersexualisation of girls across the province.

The idea was triggered by the strong reaction to the mini miss contest that was supposed to be held in Laval last year. The child beauty pageant was cancelled when over 50 thousand people signed a petition against it.

"This subject is very preoccupying and we are ready in Quebec to have a big reflection operation on it. It is important to mobilize all the actors of society relating to this subject," Suzanne Proulx, Deputy Minister on the condition of the status of women, said.

"This is one of the issues that will be discussed but it is not the only one."

The first forum will be in Laval on January 30 and three others will be held across the province this spring.

Seventy community, academic and sport organizations will participate.

A report with an action plan will be delivered to the Marois government when the forums are complete.

Leave a comment:

showing all comments · Subscribe to comments
  1. clint posted on 01/20/2014 06:40 PM
    GREAT ! ! !........... Another controversial idea to divide the public !.....spring election.
    I believe it was Jimmy Durante who once said " I got a million of em ! "
    Move over Jimmy....Pauline & Co. have more.
showing all comments

News Videos

Latest News

  • Pauline Marois makes teary goodbye

    Her final words as premier were heavy with emotion. At one point, Pauline Marois asked for a tissue as she sniffled through much of her fairwell address. Read More
  • Pauline Marois makes teary goodbye

    Her final words as premier were heavy with emotion. At one point, Pauline Marois asked for a tissue as she sniffled through much of her fairwell address. Read More