Queen of Angels Academy to close its doors at the end of the year

QUEEN OF ANGELS ACADEMY

Dorval's Queen of Angels Academy, an institution for more than a century, will be closing its doors at the end of the current school year.

The board of directors sent a letter to its alumni Thursday evening informing them of the closure, saying the school can't afford to go on.

They say it's due to a high deficit, rising costs and low enrolment. It says the number of students enrolled has gone from 515 students a year to 186.

"I really hope that we at least have the chance to say goodbye to the school, the teachers, the memories, if I can take a chunk of the building with me, I will," Abigail Jacobs who graduated in 2007 said.

"My younger daughter found it was a little buttoned down for her, and she wanted to go to school with boys, so she is finishing her high school at another school," Steve Traynor, a parent who enrolled two daughters at QAA told CJAD.

In its letter, the school said it considered co-education, adding a French stream and merging with other private schools to stay open.

It said it was forced to double their fees over the last seven years to stay open and they would have to double them again next year to stay open.

The Queen of Angels Academy refused to comment.

1. jpk posted on 01/23/2014 11:59 PM
    Only 80km to the Ontario Border
    1. Murray posted on 01/24/2014 11:25 PM
      @jpk Yes but how will Quebec be able to send you your bien etre social if all those paying income tax leave?
  2. justin posted on 01/24/2014 12:19 AM
    Awww boo hoo. A private school is closing where will the poor little rich brats go now
    1. GT posted on 01/24/2014 08:11 AM
      @justin To another private school that you obviously can't afford.
    2. K. posted on 01/24/2014 11:49 AM
      @justin You know nothing. I went to that school and my parents are definitely not rich, my mother worked hard to save money for my tuition. Way to undermine everyone else's efforts who had to go through the same. I bet you don't feel bad about the staff who will now have to find new jobs either.
  3. patrick posted on 01/24/2014 12:22 AM
    Good. Hopefully just the start of all of them closing. There is absolutely no justifiable reason why the elite should have an elite education system while so many impoverished kids go without out. The two tier education needs to be eliminated, These kids will end up getting the power positions in the future and further prosper off the backs of the poor. It needs to end NOW
    1. anneM posted on 01/24/2014 08:09 AM
      @patrick Spoken like a true ignoramous. You must be among the thousands of high school drop outs that this province produces.
    2. vp posted on 01/24/2014 09:17 AM
      @patrick That is a ridiculous statement. There is nothing wrong with private schools, or the kids that go there. And there is nothing wrong with the public schools either. A lot of my friends went to QAA, I went to PCHS, we all went to University and even grad school. It depends on the student and their family. I had a lot of low-lives at my school..some kids excel with better teachers and education, like in a private school.
  4. Andrew posted on 01/24/2014 12:26 AM
    Hmmmm......sent to alumni, must be a
    FYI not a
    Solicitation for money.
  5. markR posted on 01/24/2014 08:06 AM
    The commentors above show the level of ignorance that is a result of a poor education. The school may be private but the bulk of parents who send their daughters to this private school are everyday folks who are not rich. They want to give their child an enriching education that is certainly not availble in the public school system where we see alot of behavioral and learning deficiencies. Bill 101 and the PQ have been very successful at reducing, erasing, and eliminating the english language and any aspect of the english culture. It's not only a sad day for the school and it's students but a sad day for a province that continues to promote such hatred towards non francophones.
    1. jnn posted on 01/24/2014 08:53 AM
      @markR Well said... it is a very sad day! It's another reminder of the failing MELS system in this province.
    2. george posted on 01/24/2014 10:34 AM
      @markR and why is the public education poor? because the elite continues to hold the power. The rich kids get the best schools. You just confirmed my point. It's ok though, the revolution is coming.
  6. NIca posted on 01/24/2014 09:19 AM
    Justin & Patrick don't sound envious AT ALL! O_o

Aim higher in life, boys!
  7. Class of 1998 posted on 01/24/2014 10:53 AM
    This is so devastating. QAA is a wonderful institution.
  8. Umaga posted on 01/24/2014 11:00 AM
    I guess an English private school is a product that no longer fulfills the demands of as many parents as it used to . Can't argue with the marketplace .
    1. Joe posted on 01/24/2014 09:49 PM
      @Umaga Your wrong mon amis this drop in education for this and other schools is money that is leaving this province, so the children of these parents will succeed after leaving school instead of staying here and working for the cost of living plus 5%.
  9. Andrew posted on 01/24/2014 03:58 PM
    Thank You Liberals and Bill 101.

Before loads of French kids went to English schools like QAA to circumvent Bill 101 for a few years and then transferred to the public system. Then our "friends" the Liberals upped the bill, making it a requirement to do all your education at private English schools like QAA if you wanted to avoid Bill 101.

Thank you Liberals for killing another English school, thank you Liberals for Bill 101. I will remember QAA come voting day, will you?
  10. Laalaa posted on 01/24/2014 07:25 PM
    The abruptness of this is strange; certainly the Board of Governors must have known the school was in deep before now. I'm thinking of all the families who remained committed to the school even once the fees had doubled, and the girls who planned to start Secondary I there next fall. They will certainly have a hard time choosing a back up school now that the entrance exams are over.

I am surprised that there was not more interest in the other options they supposedly explored, such as going co-ed or opening a French stream. When I see the number of kids in Baie-d'Urfe, Beaconsfield and Pointe-Claire boarding busses and trains for all the English private schools downtown (Sacred Heart/Villa Maria/LCC/Loyola/Selwyn House) I can't imagine there wouldn't be a market for a comparable school on the West Island.

The French private system on the West Island is maxed out as well (see how many kids try out for spaces at Charlemagne, College Sainte-Marcelline and College Ste-Anne). Villa Maria works on a French sector/English sector model seemingly successfully.

Something else is going on here...