A burning cigarette is just one of the possible causes of the deadly blaze in a seniors' residence in eastern Quebec, police said Saturday.
Some media reported Friday that a smoker at the residence in L'Isle-Verte caused the fire, which killed eight people and has left another 24 presumed dead.
"What's been said is one hypothesis among many,'' Quebec provincial police Lt. Guy Lapointe told a news conference.
"When you conduct an investigation of this magnitude, you have to determine all the facts and not simply just one or two in order to achieve a conclusion.
"For us, there are still many hypotheses on the table'', added Lapointe.