Montreal man dies after accident in Cuba

A 32-year-old Montreal man and former CJAD employee who died following a water-related accident in Cuba is being remembered as a man who never quit on his dreams, even when suffereing from serious physical challenges.

Matt Stone was legally blind and suffered from juvenile diabetes but his father Kerry Stone says his ailments never dampened his spirits.

The elder Stone says he and his family have made peace with their son's death.

He remembers Matt as someone who never had a bad word to say about anyone, a hard worker and a lifelong radio fan.

He adds that Matt's physical problems never got in the way of his ambitions.

"The word 'can't' wasn't in his vocabulary," he says. He was always up for a challenge. "He'd think it over in his mind, and if it wasn't something totally ridiculous or life-threatening, he'd say, 'Look, I'd like to do it, I think I can and I won't have any problem with it.' And he'd go ahead and he did it."

Matt Stone died as a result of a water-related accident while on a cycling trip in Cuba.

He was in a coma for several days before he was flown home.

Kerry Stone says he died just hours after landing in Montreal on Saturday.

Photo from Facebook

1. Joseph posted on 01/27/2014 04:31 PM
    Very sad, may he rest in peace.
  2. Joanne Leger posted on 01/27/2014 07:19 PM
    So very sorry on the loss of your son.
  3. Me posted on 01/28/2014 08:29 AM
    I went to high school with Matt. I didn't know him well, but I remember him being a very friendly and upbeat person. My condolences to his family.
  4. Camp Carowanis posted on 01/28/2014 02:57 PM
    The Diabetic Children’s Foundation and the great family of Camp Carowanis (Quebec Camp for diabetic children) extends thoughts of sympathy on the loss of one of our own.

To Matt’s family and friends, our heartfelt condolences.
  5. Manny Maris posted on 01/28/2014 08:37 PM
    I used to work with Matt back when I was at CJAD. I only had good things to say about him. Great guy. May he rest in peace and my condolences to his family.
  6. alexandre Beaulieu posted on 02/02/2014 11:52 AM
    Rest in Peace Matt... From a Old Neighbourhood Friend... we grew up on the same street. God bless the family.
  7. Nikki posted on 02/03/2014 01:53 AM
    My dad just came back from vacation in Cuba, and he told us that he was there when it happened and that the man could not be saved. That is how I found this article.
    It's such a tragic loss and my prayers go out to his family.