950 layoffs at Best Buy, Future Shop

Best Buy Canada and Future Shop have announced they're cutting close to 950 jobs across the country.

The company issued a release this morning, saying their online sales have gone up 50 percent.

The release says only full time employees in both Best Buy and Future Shop stores will be affected.

It's expected they will be informed today.

1. markR posted on 01/30/2014 10:46 AM
    The sign of new times. People check out the showroom products and then buy on line for more competitive pricing. Like home mail delivery, the brick & mortar retailers will need to rethink their marketing and sales strategies. Competive pricing and ease of getting the product without having to fight your way to a mall, finding a store clerk to help you, finding the product in store, lining up at check out, and then dragging it back home.
  2. Joe posted on 01/30/2014 10:46 AM
    That could be seen coming for a long time. Never mind that more people are purchasing online. When I have gone into either one of them, there are groups of them standing around talking and they pay very little attention to customers looking for something. If there are four together, get rid of two of them.
    1. LMAO posted on 01/31/2014 09:25 AM
      @Joe I think you can say the same about most workplaces too Joe. The real truth is these stores have been charging way over the odds for their goods for years. The internet has just exposed them.
  3. Sandra posted on 01/30/2014 01:37 PM
    It is about time they got rid of that $7.00 daycare .. why am i responsible for other people's child care services. I had two children and needed to return to work I did not enroll them in the daycare services and mad my own arrangements ... why am I paying for everyone else. Will they lower our taxes now that we are not going to supporting the $7.00 day care ?
    1. emily posted on 01/31/2014 12:56 AM
      @Sandra What are you talking about they got rid of 7$ daycare. No they didn't.
    2. Geo posted on 02/01/2014 09:38 PM
      @Sandra Well, I own a house and pay school tax for your kids to go to school. Will you take your kids out of school so the city can lower my taxes ? Or will you stop taking them to hospitals and clinics so I can pay less provincial tax ? You are absurd. By the way, you are venting in the wrong section....
  4. Jamie posted on 01/30/2014 02:23 PM
    Yep I lost my job today at best buy in Brossard. Bad time.
    1. Larisa posted on 01/30/2014 02:34 PM
      @Jamie Gosh ! Not this time. Wish you to find a new job.
    2. LMAO posted on 01/30/2014 06:06 PM
      @Jamie Too bad best of luck finding something soon.
  5. GiGi posted on 01/30/2014 02:56 PM
    I stopped by the Futureshop after work this week looking to spend some money. There was no salesperson in the department I was looking for and anyone else I spoke to told me it wasn't their department (they were all standing around chatting). The absolutely lack of decent customer service/service in my language in this city makes me very aware where I choose to spend my money. I'd rather the convenience of online shopping than dealing with rude/substandard service.
  6. fs blows posted on 01/30/2014 04:00 PM
    Love how they say only full time affected yet at one store alone they let go of 9 part time employees...
  7. joe posted on 01/31/2014 04:50 PM
    its not just online shopping half of them dont know there products hide in corners when they see people look at there cell phones also go to plattsburg and see the quality of service compared to here
  8. Richard posted on 01/31/2014 05:01 PM
    Online sales have gone up because 50% of what they sell is only available online
  9. Barcham posted on 01/31/2014 06:30 PM
    Spend your money at smaller, locally owned shops. They won't close and will use your money to create jobs instead of boosting their stock dividends. These large corporations are not interested in their customers or their employees, all that interests them is profits. Buying from a smaller store may cost you a couple of dollars more, but you will get proper customer service and you will deal with someone who values your business.
  10. Murray posted on 01/31/2014 08:51 PM
    A friend bought a home entertainment system at Best Buy/Future Shop in New Hampshire recently. He saved $700. There is no sales tax in NH. It pays to stay for 48+ hrs and bring back $800 per person EVEN with the higher exchange rate.
  11. Celise posted on 01/31/2014 09:28 PM
    Yup I got laid off today by Future Shop. I love how I was told there was no alternative position for me and found out today that the General Manager of my store who told me this also offered a different associate a position in my department. How does that work out?
  12. Lala posted on 01/31/2014 10:34 PM
    Not only full time people going! I was let go after 7 years and I'm part time. Apparently it's to costly for me to be there! Oh wellllll so long to futureshop. Just a weird way to do it since we all walked in the office and out the office. We had to wait during out shift to see if we would be next...very nerve racking moment for all of us !
    1. Jamie Turner posted on 02/02/2014 11:55 PM
      @Lala Yep, that's exactly how it felt in my store. It honestly felt like they got rid of all the hardest working (and highest paid) people who weren't in direct management. I worked there for 5 years. I spent every day giving my 110% and it was all for nothing. meanwhile there are people still working there who really don't care about the company at all. but who am I kidding. They've pulled this "restructuring" act every year that I've been there. To be honest, I'm kind of glad to be out of there. Can't wait to work for a company that actually values their employees.
  13. Karla Liebrandt posted on 02/01/2014 11:37 AM
    One thing I've noticed as I drive down the freeway, there is a glut of these electronics stores everywhere. Circuit City, Best Buy, Future Shop, and the furniture and department stores that also sell them. One guy starts it up, makes lots of money, and everyone else jumps in, saturating the market. Same thing for furniture, insurance, fast food, airlines, you name it. I think there is way too much head to head competition in one location to sustain this many merchants.