Call to ban zombies rises from Charter hearings

Discussions on secularism charter have plunged into the dangerous territory of the walking dead.

A citizen presenting at the National Assembly hearings on bill 60 says zombie walks should be illegal in Quebec.

"What scared me the most in my life was a zombie protest," said Line Chaloux, who had spent most of her presentation arguing in favour of the PQ's ban on religious symbols in the public service and the need for a neutral state.

Organized gatherings of people dressed as zombies, often for fun, have become a marginal trend in several cities across the world. Chaloux says she once found herself in the middle of a zombie march in Paris.

"We were terribly afraid to see those people circulating freely in the city. I saw toddlers screaming. They were so scared," she points out that the events, which she refers to as protests, have started to take place in Montreal too.

"These groups, to show their adherence to certain ideologies, go out in the population. And, we are confronted with something we didn't choose. We didn't choose to find ourselves in front of a troop of zombies."

She says zombie marches should be banned, since a person should not be allowed to protest with their faces covered.

Chaloux was speaking in her own name, but is the director general of Le Coffret, a group that helps integrate immigrants in Saint-Jerome.

Expel Mormons

Chaloux also argued that Mormons should be kicked out of Quebec for proselytizing.

"How is it that they can come here to try to convert people? If they are here to proselytize, we should expulse them."

She says immigrants should come here with a desire to integrate and accept what is already here.

6,700 Christian names and symbols

The National Assembly also heard from Bill Clennett, who, despite being an atheist, was wearing a kipa "in solidarity with the people who are being victimized by this."

He brought tally of Quebec's cities, schools, bank trusts, and other items - including beer - that carry Christian names and symbolism.

He's counted 6,700 of them and argues that if a civil servant's clothes can send a religious message, then these symbols do as well.

1. joeN posted on 01/30/2014 03:22 PM
    Has anyone contacted TLC, maybe we can get this running as another waky reality show. Oh wait, this is Quebec! It is the reality of daily life in this circus of a province.
  2. Paul posted on 01/30/2014 03:35 PM
    I guess that means Quebec should ban Halloween as well
  3. Daniel posted on 01/30/2014 03:39 PM
    You have to be kidding. Please, tell me you are all kidding. This is not what they showed me, some years ago in my home country, during a presentation about the Quebec Immigration, as a tolerant and open minded place to live.
  4. Realist posted on 01/30/2014 03:58 PM
    This also brings into question christian practices in public places. White attention has been given to circumcision as both a jewish and muslim practice done in hospitals, has anyone questioned all of the catholic practices that would fall under the ban.

Many hospitals have prayer rooms and chapels, these would be closed. Priests would be stopped from performing last rites or baptism of at risk babies.

Hotel Dieu,Hospital St-Luc, Hospital Notre-Dame would be required to remove all of their crucifixes.

This is not a one sided law and the effect on the Christian majority in Quebec has been minamlized.
  5. clint posted on 01/30/2014 04:16 PM
    Ok I've had enough !
    Pauline ! We need answers to the REAL problems in this Province
    Toilet Paper : over or under ?
    Toilet Seat : up or down ?
    These problems have been with us longer than religious symbols.
  6. Sean posted on 01/30/2014 04:25 PM
    This is a satire....right?
  7. George73 posted on 01/30/2014 04:49 PM
    And here we have the final proof of the desperation and/or incompetence of the PQ. Who on earth thought it would be a good idea to have an anti-zombi march advocate present in support of the charter?

Supporters of the charter are increasingly showing themselves up to be either ignorant, bigots (or worse), or desperately in need of the mental health services available to them on the tax payers dime.

I agree with legistlating against zombies. But I dont the PQ would enact such laws against their principal supporters.
  8. Ryan posted on 01/30/2014 06:00 PM
    "We are confronted with something we didn't choose"... That's how life works. I didn't choose to stub my toe or spill my coffee this morning.
    The neighbors door is blue and I would much rather prefer it to be brown, I didn't get to choose it, I think I'm gonna go cry about how this world isn't made for me :P
    1. Kat posted on 01/31/2014 12:51 PM
      @Ryan I didn't choose the PQ either. Maybe I could show up and complain to this committee- that would be too logical.
  9. LMAO posted on 01/30/2014 06:04 PM
    If i had known they were putting on cabaret acts i might have taken some time off to go see.
  10. Nelly-Ann Van Dorpe posted on 01/30/2014 09:02 PM
    I completely disagree with regards to the ban on zombie walks, in fact I don't really get the issue. If you would ban zombie walks, then what about Halloween?? Kids can get scared, but thats all part of the deal, in fact, many parents participate and bring their children to the zombie walks; they learn that its not real and its just for fun. Go to the Montreal zombie walk website and take a look at the gallery of images…all I see are people getting really into it, and having fun….kids included. I think it is more impressive than worth banning, and i don't think it's just me, as over 10,000 people partook in 2013. Moreover, why so many bans on what people are allowed to do??? Whatever happened to all the idealistic notions of freedom, or the golden rule?? In my opinion, as long as no physical or emotional harm is caused to others (and i do not count scaring children as harming), then people should be able to wear what they like, and participate in events (that occur on a global scale, as mme. chaloux mentioned herself) if they like. I have to say I really do not like the direction public debates are taking in addressing menial issues such as personal displays of religion for people in public functions or social events that happen to attract very large groups of enthusiasts worldwide. In our increasingly globalized world, differences abound; who is anyone to delimit what people can wear in public, or what events they can partake in, short of a book burning, or execution (exaggeration intended)? There are more important things to discuss apart from policing Quebecors appearance or religious displays, as well as their leisure or interests. I never really understood why people care so much what other people do or wear or what religion they practice. Issues more pertinent, in light of much of what I hear coming out of public discourse, are things like tolerance, or joie de vivre…and what on earth do zombie walks have to do with the Qc charter of values???
  11. Steve posted on 01/30/2014 09:49 PM
    I can understand that. Zombies freak me out too. Plus those guys with Anonymous masks. And pretty much any halloween costumes. I say we ban all that!
  12. steve posted on 01/30/2014 10:29 PM
    The depth of some of these peoples ignorance is chilling,and so telling.The PQ's power base speaks it's backward mind.
  13. Barcham posted on 01/30/2014 10:44 PM
    I know a good number of women who look like two completely different people depending on the kind of make up they decide to wear. In fact, if you were to add wigs to the equation, the number of different looks that the average woman can manage is quite numerous. Perhaps all women's makeup and wigs should be banned as they can be considered a way to hide their true appearance.

Well, it makes as much sense as banning zombie walks!
  14. David posted on 01/31/2014 07:24 AM
    If she doesn't want zombies in Quebec, she shouldn't have vote for them.
  15. Saint Lazare posted on 01/31/2014 09:09 AM
    I though as long as the zombies and Mormons DON'T wear a hijab they were safe ... Honestly this is ridiculous and embarrassing
  16. Really posted on 01/31/2014 01:01 PM
    Really -my children are laughing their butts off.
    These are paid actors on the new "Charter of Hearings" show - right?
    If their afraid of zombies we can only pray for a zombie apocalypse.
    By the way can't wait for the return of the Walking Dead. LOL
  17. Jason posted on 01/31/2014 01:20 PM
    I agree. Zombies are a symbole of evil and have no place in society.
  18. hakhakhak posted on 01/31/2014 02:45 PM
    Jesus rose from the dead, hence he was a zombie, can we ban him too? He scares me.
  19. Bill Lumbergh posted on 01/31/2014 03:15 PM
    Obviously, it's beyond INSANE that this is even a topic of discussion in government legislation but I would personally rank those contact lenses higher on the disturb-o-meter than yarmulkes or hijabs. Are they concerned that officials like cops and bus drivers will begin serving the public in disguised as the undead?... Come to think of it that would be amazing.
  20. Karine posted on 01/31/2014 05:22 PM
    People have WAY TOO MUCH time on their hands. They should really get a life!
    1. Really posted on 02/03/2014 09:52 AM
      @Karine With all the lay-offs there will be more people with too much time on their hands.
  21. Gordon posted on 02/01/2014 12:12 AM
    Maybe the charter should read "freedom from religion"
  22. Marc posted on 02/01/2014 10:24 AM
    I guess this means street names with the suffix St. and Ste. should be banned too??? Imagine Ste-Catherine renamed Rue Pauline Marois!!!
  23. GillesG posted on 02/02/2014 04:27 AM
    The government is there to serve the people and manage the infrastructures of society, NOT manage our individual lives or what people want to pray to or do in there free time. This whole thing is getting out of hand and need to stop.
  24. More BS posted on 02/02/2014 05:03 PM
    The PQ attract the most intelligent people . This is an example of their support base.
  25. sam posted on 02/04/2014 04:09 PM
    Who's surprised by these presentations? The call to add zombies and mormons to the restricted list of the Marois Lisée Drainville Charter fits in with all of the other restrictions proposed by the "framers" of this document of intolerances.