EXCLUSIVE: Verdun General Hospital accused of negligence in handling of 96-year-old patient

Olga Campo (l) and her mother Michelina Ialenti Campo (r)

UPDATED

A Ville Émard woman is accusing the Verdun General Hospital of negligence after an incident last week that resulted in her 96-year-old mother being sent home in the cold in her slippers and street clothes without advising the family.

Imagine Olga Campo's surprise when she went to the hospital room last Saturday where her mother, Michelina Ialenti Campo, was supposed to be only to see someone else there, then told that her mom was released the night before at 10 o'clock. Ialenti Campo had been admitted two days earlier because of concerns about swollenness in her legs.

"I said, 'Ok, where is she?' 'Well, she's home.' I said, 'She can't be home, because she lives with me. Where is she?!' " Campo told CJAD 800 News.

Campo claims some of the staff were dismissive.

"They don't care. It's a big joke. I was so mad, so furious, I wanted to jump over that counter and slap her one," Campo said.

"How would you feel knowing they don't know where your mother is?"

Campo said the staff eventually found out Campo's mother was sent back to the Verdun therapy center where she was staying temporarily, sent there in a taxi in nothing but slippers, street clothes and a light blanket. Campo said her mother was upset and trembling when she finally found her at the center.

"(I'm) very upset, and here we are trying to keep her (at home) as much as we can, thinking she's in good hands at the hospital and in a fraction of a second, they could have made her have a heart attack. What is this?" Campo said in a frustrated voice.

Campo said if she had a choice, she wouldn't go back to the hospital.

"She's afraid to go back. She has to go back for her cardiogram but you could be sure one of us, all of us are going to be there."

Campo has filed a complaint. Hospital spokeswoman Monique Guay said in an email to CJAD 800 News that an internal investigation is underway. Campo said she doesn't think a suspension, a dismissal or even an apology would help.

"I just want for me, for everybody else and for the elderly that go through the same thing I am going through, I just want somebody to fix something, to have a better system," Campo said.

"That would help more than an apology."

1. sam posted on 01/31/2014 03:05 PM
    Quebec government institutions and their government employed staff (the ones where staff can't wear kippas hijabs etc like hospitals) are continuing to bash Quebecers. This is what should be called Quebec bashing. People , Quebecers are suffering at the hands of our government and our employees. Are they evil or stupid?
  2. ANNIE posted on 01/31/2014 03:32 PM
    WHY IS THIS HAPPENING SO MUCH ? , WHO DOES THIS ,THIS IS SO VERY SAD ,THERE SHOULD BE AN INVESTIGATION AS TO WHY THIS IS GOING ON STILL 59
  3. joeN posted on 01/31/2014 08:30 PM
    Wonder if the patient last name had to do with the bad treatment? I would avoid this hospital, it's always had a bad reputation. Incompetent Dr's, rude staff, poor service. Would not even take my dog there for treatment. If the government is looking to save money, this hospital should be on the list of closures.
  4. TKim posted on 01/31/2014 09:53 PM
    Who treats a 96-year-old and their family like that? Despicable.
  5. MP posted on 02/01/2014 08:52 AM
    This is criminal..
    We will one day need hospital care..
    We should be proud this 96 year woman lived this long. Lucky her daughter was there.What would have happened if she wasn't there for her ? She was there for her and no one called her to update her on what they were going to do with her mother? This is a 96 year old woman..
    Where is the compassion never mind the language issue..
    They should never be an elderly person in a corridor having a passerby gape at them.This is humiliating.Where has society and government failed? Everytime we pay our taxes and instead of going to hospitals it goes in their pockets..
  6. Monique Pontarelli posted on 02/01/2014 06:18 PM
    This event should never have occurred and there can be no plausible reason that it did. I am very sorry and saddened that it happened to an elderly lady who was defenseless. But I would like to share my family's experience with this very same hospital. Our elderly Italian mother, who speaks no French and a very few word of English, was admitted to Verdun Hospital two weeks ago in critical condition. She was treated with respect and dignity and was provided with exceptional care. In fact she is alive today because of their attentiveness, dedication, efficiency and excellent skills. They inspired trust and confidence in their ability to provide for her. Our experience with this hospital was positive throughout our medical ordeal from the emergency, through surgery, intensive care and treatment on the ward for the fifteen days that our mother was in their care. Yes, there was one incident that caused us stress, but they worked very hard to resolve it. I would also like to add that all the staff did their best to speak to our mother and to us in English and some even tried to learn a few words of Italian to comfort her. Unfortunate incidents happen and we must take care to prevent them from happening again, but we cannot taint the reputation of a good hospital by such incidents that are few and far between. We must as a society also appreciate the good that happens amid the bad and bring attention to it. We must always work to correct wrongs to ensure they don't reoccur but we must also spotlight the positive.
    1. joeN posted on 02/03/2014 08:28 AM
      @Monique Pontarelli They are always good when the incompetence and bad service does not involve you or your family member. It's another story when you get mistreated or misdiagnosed and you go through hell and they fluff you off as insignificant.
  7. Cindy posted on 02/02/2014 12:05 AM
    I live in Verdun and I don't go to this hospital. I was once rushed by ambulance to their emergency. I had migraine headache, dizzyness and fainted at home. They took me out of the gurney, took my temperature, my blood pressure and made me to sit in the waiting room for 6 hours. I was dizzy and almost fainted. I got up to tell the nurse in charge I was doing worst and needed to lay down because I was afraid to collapse from my chair. This was her answer : "We have cameras that monitor the wait room, if you fall off your chair we will see and go pick you up." After 8 hours of waiting, I called my friend to come pick me up and take me home since I needed to lay down. The staff there is rude and couldn't care less if we died there waiting.