At least one hundred Montreal firefighters responded to a general alarm fire in a two-storey commercial building on Ste-Catherine St. at the corner of St-Timothée at around 1 AM Thursday.
"The fire was located on the second floor, at the rear of the building and it quickly spread to the attic and the roof, "Luc Galarneau, District Fire Chief said.
Galarneau told CJAD they found melted gas containers in the building and transferred the case to police arson squad for investigation.
A Pizza Pizza restaurant, Pure night club and a peep show business occupied the building. All three were closed at the time of the fire, so no patrons were injured. A firefighter suffered smoke inhalation and was transported to hospital.
“I’m not happy, I am going to lose at least one month of work, that’s too much, I have three kids, my wife, a home,” Satar Nazari, the owner of Pizza Pizza said.
Nazari also told CJAD it was the second fire in the building. A fire started in the Pure night club in 2008.
The building is heavily damaged.