Parents react to daycare fee increase

Among the losers in the PQ budget tabled Thursday were parents of young children who were told the days of $7 a day daycare are out.

As of September it will be $8 a day and $9 a day in 2015.

Most parents at Le Sabler, a large public daycare in the Plateau, said $9 a day to send your child to daycare is cheap but there fed up with the Parti Québécois not keeping promises.

“I’m sick of the corruption, it’s just wrong for them to pick in our pockets again,” Louis Nehme, who has a 2 year old son at Le Sabler said.

“Money is not being properly invested within the departments, and it shouldn't be increased, if anything it should be decreased because there’s families that $7 is a lot for them, so there needs to be an equilibrium,” Dave Dumouchelle, another parent, said.

Lucy Chabot the director of Le Sabler, told CJAD subsidies have been drastically cut over the last five years and unfortunately parents have to pay to maintain the quality of service in public daycares.

“We’re paying nothing for daycare here, we’re so lucky,” Jennifer Roberge, a parent who used to pay $450 per week to send her child to daycare in the U.S. told CJAD.

1. Kari posted on 02/21/2014 02:53 PM
    I understand how upset parents are about this increase.
    I know which ones arent however.
    The ones who can well afford regular daycare and have manipulated and used the system to get their kids into what amounts to " cheap babysitting " for them.
    Take the example of someone I know who pays $4000 a month for rent, has a full time nanny and is basically a stay at home Mom. Only one child too.
    Thats the disgusting element to this story.
  2. George73 posted on 02/21/2014 03:25 PM
    I was fortunate to be able to benefit from this program for at least part of my two daughters pre-school. For me be it $7 or $9/day was not much of an issue. It was obviously a distinct improvement on having to pay $30-40/day for private daycare. I did that for a while and my daughter would always comment on why we weren't driving the Mercedes like her friends!

Something that I think is not really appreciated in this province is that the $7/day daycare essentially continues throughout elementary school to grade 6, where on-site facilities are provided at elementary schools prior to the start of the school day and, at some insititutions, after school until 6:30PM. In any other province, you have to find and pay for a program to put your child in after school and pay for someone to transport the kids unless you can step out of your job for an hour or two.

I am by now means a supporter of the PQ. God forbid. If we could put the separatists on an island and float it off into the mid-Atlantic where they could devour themselves into a French version of Lord of the Flies, I would die happy.

However, one of the criticisms that I have heard levelled at the budget was the impact that the increase in daycare costs would have on a family with 4 children. Yes. 4 chidren.

The pure laine Quebecois may have thrown off the shackles of the Catholic Church, but it seems that their prediliction for larger than average families continues unabated. And who should shoulder the financial responsibility for their irresponsible fecundity? Of course the State aka the taxpayer.

Regardless of religion or political persuasion, if one does not have the financial means to raise children without State support, then invest a couple of bucks in birth control and if you cannot do that, then abstain. But don't expect other taxpayers to be on the hook for your poor financial planning or inability to control ones sexual urges.
  3. john posted on 02/21/2014 03:42 PM
    I've always said and will say it again . Why is my as well as others tax money being used to babysit other people's children . ????

I think it should be even higher .....
  4. Anne abelle posted on 02/22/2014 03:30 PM
    Well i think it should be available to parents that need it and based on the family's income. I do have a problem with parents paying 7$/day to PARK their kids from 7am to 6pm and pay 17$/day to park their Mercedes downtown.
  5. Marie Claude Noel posted on 02/23/2014 11:41 AM
    This whole idea of $7/$8/$9 a day is ridiculous. Quebec offers this amount by getting transfer payments from the rest of Canada. Quebec should charge the actual amount that it costs and not subsidize it. Day care costs should be what it actually costs to run it and not subsidized.

These so called "Middle Class" Quebecers who whine about a small increase and cry that they cannot afford $9/Day are really pathetic. If you cannot afford $9/Day which equates to roughly $207/Month, then you are really "PATHETIC" AND BLUNTLY, you should not have children if you cannot afford it. LOSERS IN QUEBEC
  6. Really posted on 02/24/2014 10:31 AM
    When single mothers or fathers use it I have no problem with it.
    But when we have to work 40 - 60 hours a week so that these so called stay at home moms can stay at home and get high or go to the gym or just sleep in while other people pay for their kids. Pathetic

CJAD NOW...