Language minister Diane De Courcy may have neglected to inform the minister for Montreal of her plan to eliminate the "Bonjour / Hi" greeting from they city's shops and restaurants.
Jean-François Lisée said today that the practice was an individual choice.
"It's for each enterprise to decide," he said.
And, asked whether he thought there should be a crack-down, he answered directly "no."
De Courcy vows to rid Quebec of Bonjour / Hi
Lisée thoughts run contrary to a pledge the Language minister made Monday on behalf of the PQ government.
Diane De Courcy said if the Parti Quebecois won a majority, there would be a revived effort to stamp out "institutionalized bilingualism," including the use of "Bonjour / Hi."
Employees must address clients in correct French "not like what we have right now in downtown Montreal, and not only in Montreal, which is ‘Bonjour-Hi," De Courcy was quoted as saying in the Gazette.
She also said action to rid the businesses of bilingual practices must be made"without mercy."
Lisée shows mercy
Minister Lisée, on the other hand, says he encourage the use of the simple "Bonjour."
He says it makes Montreal sound distinct, everyone knows what it means "and if the client is Anglophones, you switch to English."
However, he dismissing the idea of enforcing it. "That's for each commerce to decide."
Following the release of this story, Minister Lisée issued the following statement on twitter:
" As I said, I encourage "Bonjour" but, like (Diane De Courcy), I think encouragement, not enforcement, is the way to promote it."
Attempts to contact De Courcy for clarification on her previous statement have so far been unsuccessful.