No climate of insecurity for anglos in Quebec: Marois

PHOTO: CANADIAN PRESS

Premier Pauline Marois says anglophones and allophones are not living in a climate of insecurity in Quebec.

Her comments come two days after a poll suggested that half of the province's anglos and allos had thought about leaving the province in the past year.

"I have a great respect for the anglo community," Marois told reporters today in Gatineau. "This community is important in my perspective."

Her news conference was cut short when someone from This Hour Has 22 Minutes said he was a huge fan of Marois' and that her "comedy is great" (below).

1. Realist posted on 02/27/2014 04:32 PM This comment was edited by a moderator at 09:50 PM on 02/27/2014
    I can't help but feel that I am living in Orwell's 1984. The Minister for Truth tells us that there was no anglo exodus. Now we have the premiere telling us that the anglo community is important. At the same time M. Drainville is holding a consultation that he say he will not listen to.

Winston Smith your time is up.
  2. Gillian posted on 02/27/2014 04:38 PM
    Honestly, what planet is this woman living on??
  3. Kari posted on 02/27/2014 04:57 PM
    It should be a " climate of insecurity " for ALL Quebecers.
    This province is in shambles.
  4. Gord posted on 02/27/2014 05:26 PM
    Well there you have it! I feel better already. Thanks Pauline.
  5. Simon Templar posted on 02/27/2014 05:40 PM
    What? She was able to say that with a straight face?
  6. Jim posted on 02/27/2014 05:43 PM
    Mme. Marois and the PQ, as well as a sizable fringe portion of the Quebecois population, "have a great love and respect for the Anglophone community in Québec", so long as we learn to know our place and do not have the audacity to be heard speaking or writing English unless we demonstrate the superiority of the French language when we do so. This presents very much like the schoolyard bully, who will let you speak, so long as you let everyone else know that you are subservient to him when you do so; otherwise you can foresee a reprisal to keep you in check. This love of their Anglophone community is less out of empathy for us and more so just to convince themselves that they are acting in good faith and can feel good about themselves in the process, while trying to avoid bad press internationally. We should judge their intentions based on incidents such as Pastagate, Menchie-gate, the recent Facebook incident, reports of children in French schools being prohibited from speaking English on their own time when in the school hallways, the IGA owner who prohibited employees from speaking English while on their breaks, the PQ's denial of the English exodus from Québec, Mme. Marois "telling" us that the Anglophone community is not living in a climate of insecurity rather than asking us, stories of STCUM employees refusing to speak in English, taxi companies refusing to send cabs if requested in English and so the list grows. This is a phenomenon which is worsening and is being officially sanctioned by the PQ and by previous Liberal governments. Meanwhile, little or nothing is mentioned in the French media. How important is the Anglophone community if this is the case. So long as it does not affect the daily lives of most French-speaking Québecois, they look the other way and are not concerned. We are instead perceived as whiners and comparisons are made to how French people are treated in other provinces. Excuse me for expecting that our province was special in that regard and that we were multilingual and multicultural; leading the rest of Canada by example. Instead, I am having my identity stripped from me and my rights denied over the course of time. It is one thing to have rights and services and then have them removed from you as opposed to moving to an area that never recognized them to begin with; particularly when you call the place you have grown up in home and others treat you like an outsider.
  7. Joe posted on 02/27/2014 06:54 PM
    Tell that the shop owner who is being watched by the OQLF. You are needed here, wanted and we want you to be comfortable here as long as you do it our way even on your personal website. Time for Bon Cop to come to the rescue, anybody else see a pattern Bad Cops come do their thing, then along comes Bon Cop JF two faced Lisee to the rescue and "poof" with a wave of his fleur des lys we are saved from these radicals by a man who pretends not to be one of them. Give me break!!!!
  8. Adam posted on 02/27/2014 07:23 PM
    In a pig's eye she has ANY respect for the English community.

Would she have made bill 14 if she respected the English community?
    Would she keep funding the OQLF if she respected the English community?
    The fact she hasn't ONCE appeared on CJAD, is that a sign of her respect towards the English community?

As an employed Anglophone, I am actively sending my CV down the 401 & 417, because the only way I will survive in Quebec is in a state of poverty. I have actively turned down jobs because I was afraid of fired for being English.
  9. Fran posted on 02/27/2014 09:33 PM
    This could not have made me laugh harder. Great respect my aunt fanny.
  10. Steve posted on 02/27/2014 10:20 PM
    Whenever francophones tell me that the english in Quebec are the best treated minority in the world, I tell them "Oh yeah? How come when I want to speak to anybody that I went to high school, CEGEP, or university with I have to dial long distance?" They all moved away. If it was so great here they wouldn't have left.
  11. ANDRE MALOUF posted on 02/27/2014 11:57 PM
    Has the Just for Laugh festival changed dates this year????
  12. barryallen posted on 02/28/2014 03:53 AM
    When Ethnic minorities such as Muslim women re routinely getting attacked in public due to policies or statements by persons or government,that person or government is guilty of incitement to hatred and should be charged and prosecuted to the full extent of the law.If we had a Canadian prime minister who could say"just watch me" we would arrest Marois,Lisee,have them to the perp walk,and be charged according to their words and deeds.These "politicians" are racist and ,fascist by their words and deeds.Failure to act by Canada now out of "fear" of offending i-dont-know-who will only result in more violent action against these thugs later.Look at history.Facists,racists,and bullies thrive on weakness.Where is our Canadian Government?
  13. ilze posted on 02/28/2014 12:12 PM
    What is this woman smoking? Does she live in the same province as I do? It is hard to believe that a "leader" can be so blind to reality.

CJAD NOW...