Henri-François Gautrin made it official Friday — he will not be running for another term in the National Assembly.
He has held the riding for the Quebec Liberals since 1989, and told CJAD News that it's time for some new blood.
"I'm 70 years old...and it's time, for the party, for a new candidate, and some renewal within the deputation."
He also suggested that stories about a blowup between himself and party leader Philippe Couillard had been exaggerated by the media.
"There is no disagreement between Mr. Couillard and I," he says. "It was inflated by the press...but we are on the same line together."
While he didn't say he was barred from running again by the party's brass, he did express some regret.
"I won't say that I'm happy, you know. I would have been ready to run again...but that's a fact of life, and that's all."
Gautrin also clarified the infamous comment from a few weeks ago suggesting the PQ would win a majority government, saying it applied to the particular moment he made the comment, but adds he's convinced the Liberals would come out on top at the end of an election campaign.
"Because we will be able to discuss the many issues facing Quebecers — like the economy."