Rene Angelil has cancerous tumour removed from throat

He was diagnosed with throat cancer in 1999

The husband of pop star Celine Dion is recovering after having a cancerous tumour removed from his throat just before Christmas.

A statement released by Rene Angelil's publicist on Friday said the Dec. 23 operation was a success and that he spent a few days in hospital before beginning his recovery at home in Las Vegas.

Angelil, 72, was previously diagnosed with throat cancer in 1999, prompting Dion to take time off as he recovered.

The couple say they don't want to give interviews and are asking media to respect their privacy.

Dion said in the statement she wants Angelil to focus on getting healthy and to avoid the daily stress of work.

"I want him to focus on getting back to 100%,'' Dion said. ``I've been doing my shows at the Colosseum and everything's under control.

"At home we've been spending a lot of quality time with the family. We feel very fortunate that we've been able to get the best care possible and we thank God every day for helping us to get through this ordeal."

 

Photo credit: lapresse.ca

Leave a comment:

showing all comments · Subscribe to comments
  1. Joseph posted on 03/01/2014 12:27 PM
    Wish him the very best and full recovery.
  2. GT posted on 03/04/2014 08:39 AM
    Why is this a news item? What about all the regular folks who are fighting the fight against cancer everyday? Just because he's married to Celine Dion, we need to know that he has cancer? He's getting the best medical care in the US that most Quebecers can not afford nor expect from it's local health care system as it's in terrible shape due to constant underfunding by successive incompetent provincial goverments.
showing all comments

News Videos

Latest News