LISTEN: Marois says no to English debate

It appears there will not be an English-language leaders debate during the election campaign.

A consortium of English newspapers and TV and radio stations, including CJAD, made the offer for one joint debate.

Liberal leader Phillippe Couillard has agreed to it, and the CAQ's François Legault appears to be interested as well — but on Thursday, Marois flatly rejected the idea, saying her English isn't good enough to get her ideas across and the anglo-Quebecers would not be well-served.

"I am able to speak in English and I think I improved my English," Marois told reporters at a campaign stop in Drummondville, "but I don’t think I will be very comfortable in a debate for explaining my specific point of view and I don’t think that will serve the anglo-Quebecers."

1. Nica posted on 03/06/2014 04:49 PM
    Even though I think she should be able to debate in English, we're all aware that she cannot. It was a wasted proposal.

We should be on her case about getting more French debates, perhaps even on English media. Sometimes we need to meet people halfway & she needs to get in the ring!!
  2. Dave posted on 03/06/2014 05:02 PM
    The media should rally behind it and offer to pay for a translator!

Can she have a translator?
  3. I Speak EF posted on 03/06/2014 05:10 PM
    Her English sounds pretty darn good to me, and imagine she can go to Scotland and speak " Scottish" and what language did she speak in New York?
  4. Kari posted on 03/06/2014 05:24 PM
    And the excuses begin............................
  5. LMAO posted on 03/06/2014 05:50 PM
    Any leader who cannot converse with the people they are supposed to represent does not have the right to be a leader. Interesting though that she expects all Anglos to have to speak french not matter how poorly or regardless of their ability to be understood particularly at Hospitals.
  6. Norm posted on 03/06/2014 06:06 PM
    How nice! A Premier who represents the Province of Quebec on the world stage and has a poor command of the English Language.
  7. Selina posted on 03/06/2014 06:33 PM
    That's how I feel when I speak in french(concerning my families health or money) but I still do it. So should she!
  8. Bob Cheetham posted on 03/06/2014 06:35 PM
    I simply can't believe how un-democratic the Premier is being. No english debate in Canada and yes madame Premier you do reside in Canada! My daughter can't even get a Quebec Revenue form completed because she can't get a form in English? Has the Premier forgotten that there are thousands of Quebec citizen's who speak only English! Perhaps, the rest of Canada should simply shot out french speaking citizen's, but we don't because we have accepted two official languages across Canada.
  9. Marky mark posted on 03/06/2014 08:49 PM
    If perfect bilingualism is essential for virtually every job in Quebec, why is it not a requirement to be Premier?
  10. Ryan posted on 03/07/2014 12:23 AM
    "Plus Accueillant".
  11. I Have HadIt posted on 03/07/2014 01:02 AM
    I think its time for the rest of Canada to have a vote on whether or not to keep Quebec a part of Canada. ENOUGH IS ENOUGH. She is trying to start a civil war.
  12. joeN posted on 03/07/2014 08:43 AM
    She seems to have probelems with the french language as well. Her words do not match her actions. She's promised the students with the red square no tuition inceases last election only to sneak it in. Broke her own law on election laws. Back peddled on Hydro increases. Flew around the province in a helicopter and promising a shangri la to the simpletons and easily swayed hinterland habitants. So if her slogan states prosperity, we can all expect major austerity if she wins.
  13. Treece posted on 03/10/2014 01:23 AM
    Have the debate without her! Showcase Liberals and CAQ ... More media and airtime for them!