Pierre-Karl Peladeau running for PQ in St. Jerome

Media baron Pierre Karl Peladeau shook up the Quebec election campaign on Sunday, announcing he's decided to run for the Parti Quebecois.

Flanked by PQ Leader Pauline Marois, Peladeau told a news conference he's worked to build up media giant Quebecor over the past 25 years and now wants to devote himself to public service.

He said his dream is to help Quebec become a country.

"Quebec has all the means to succeed. We have financial resources, we have human resources, we have natural resources,'' Peladeau said in St. Jerome, north of Montreal, where he will run for a seat in the April 7 election.

"We've got everything (we need) for a country to be alive and kicking.''

Peladeau rejected suggestions his entry into politics could represent a conflict of interest, given his powerful presence in the province's media landscape.

He was, until recently, head of president of Quebecor Media Inc. (TSX:QBR.B), which controls the tabloid newspaper Journal de Montreal and the French-language TVA television network.

The conglomerate also owns the Sun tabloids and the Sun News Network in English Canada.

Peladeau said he resigned Sunday morning as vice-chairman of Quebecor, which was founded by his father.

While he will retain his ownership stake, Peladeau said his media outlets will be independent in their coverage and he will place his investments in a blind trust.

Rumours had been swirling for months that Peladeau would run for the PQ.

Last year, he stepped down as Quebecor CEO to take a post as chairman of Hydro Quebec.

He said Sunday he had stepped down from that post as well.

Peladeau's decision to run for the PQ represents a major coup for Marois, whose party has tried to erase doubts about its ability to manage the economy.

Marois, who is seeking a majority in the election, said she looks forward to working with Peladeau.

"He is a sovereigntist, he is a person that has great experience in business, and I've convinced him to work with me and my team for the progress of the economy of Quebec, and the progress of Quebec,'' Marois said.

Photo credit: ctvnews.ca

1. Joseph posted on 03/09/2014 12:28 PM
    I always knew this low life was a PQ lap dog.
  2. jonico posted on 03/09/2014 01:14 PM
    I thought he was smart .....
  3. Karla Liebrandt posted on 03/09/2014 03:15 PM
    He's going to find out the hard way that politics is not business. He'll give out orders (Do this! Do that!) and nothing will happen. Marois, the master manipulator, will promise him gates of silver and gold. They will in reality be copper and tin. Much like she's trying to show us the promised land of independence.
  4. MikeA_0062 posted on 03/10/2014 08:02 AM
    Stop doing business with Videotron, and all other companies that are associated
    with the PQ. Wake-up people!
  5. Karl posted on 03/10/2014 09:26 AM
    Parti Quebecor !
  6. Meatplow posted on 03/10/2014 09:53 AM
    I'm switching to Bell....
  7. JohnH- posted on 03/10/2014 10:00 AM
    Don't be surprised by his entry into politics, his father was a sovereigntist. The end game however, is for him to become Premier of Quebec. Pauline just doesn't know it yet.
  8. maria posted on 03/10/2014 10:06 AM
    Why do they keep calling him a star candidate??? His wife left him !!! What kind of values would he have with a father who believed that Women do not belong in the board room - ?? He is nothing but a power hungry P.Q'st!!! He fits in with Marois but I do not think with the rest of the Quebec population Separatist or not!!! There is nothing Star quality about him...I hope one day his kids are ashamed of him...
  9. William podmore posted on 03/10/2014 11:16 AM
    I say. It's past time to demand an explicit and unequivocal public statement from all separatists that they will seek their objectives strictly under the constitutional laws of Canada. Canadians expect nothing less.
  10. Colin posted on 03/10/2014 11:28 AM
    Well,i think we all knew or had a feeling that this would happen eventually. The P.Q has added a heavy hitter to their roster and are hoping that it pays of in the long run.However, i find it hard to believe that Mr.Peladeau will be satisfied with just being number two to Ms Marois's number one.I look forward to the next couple of weeks.
  11. clint posted on 03/10/2014 01:26 PM
    Does this mean that Mr. Peladeu will be answering to a new boss....Pauline Marois...a woman?.....and that would be 3 big egos in one room
    Marois... Lisee ....Peladeau
    I think this is a way for the PQ to back-door a new leader when Pauline loses in 4 weeks.
    Sell the house...................check
    Don't testify at inquiry........check
    PKP takes spotlight..........check
    Move to that condo in Cuba.............April 08,2014
  12. Francesco posted on 03/10/2014 07:53 PM
    I am cancelling my Vidéotron , and my retail business will no longer advertise in Quebecor magazines.
    I've had it , hopefully someone will buy my business so my family can leave this racist Province.
    Eventually we will all move out of Quebec. But what will they do then, they will still be surrounded by 330 million English speaking.
    Very very sad can't wait to leave!!!
  13. Murray posted on 03/10/2014 09:22 PM
    I will switch back to Bell IF they credit us for what they stole from us years ago.

They charged us for *69 service for years. I went to the CRTC to have Bell refund us and they did not give us 100%

If you deal with Bell put it in your contract that no services may be added without signed confirmation from you!