Major fire sends father and daughter to hospital

A violent fire errupted in an apartment building in the east end around 12:45 a.m. Monday morning, injuring two, including a child.

The three-alarm blaze was already raging when firefighters got to the home on Des Ormeaux street in the Tétraultville district.

Emergency responders discovered a man, severly burned and unconscious, on the first floor of the two-story building. 

The man's 12-year-old daughter was also transported to hospital. She was able to make it out of the apartment just in time, however she did inhale some smoke, according to Bob Lamle of Urgences Santé.

Just before 3:00 a.m., firefighters were still trying to get control of the blaze because it was contained in the attic. 

A number of nearby residents were evacuated from the building next door.

"There were no working fire detectors," said Martin Farmer of Montreal's fire department, a situation be believes in unacceptable. 

Fire officials remind everyone to replace all batteries in all smoke detectors, twice a year. A common reminder is the fall and spring time change, which was done this past weekend. 

Leave a comment:

showing all comments · Subscribe to comments
  1. ric posted on 03/10/2014 09:55 AM
    Please explain why people don't have at least one$10.00 smoke/fire detectors in their homes? Seems to me that almost every week we get this kind of story.
showing all comments

News Videos

Latest News