Videotron caught in anti-Péladeau backlash

Has Pierre Karl Peladeau's candidacy for the PQ created a boycott movement among anglophones?

Several people have contacted CJAD saying they and their friends are planning to switch cable and Internet providers due to the former Quebecor chairman's political allegiances.

The media giant counts Videotron among its stable of properties. And Peladeau's avowed commitment to an independent Quebec is infuriating some of his English-speaking customers.

Stephanie Huttman works at a Bell store in Cote des Neiges.

She says she hasn't seen lineups outside her store since the iPhone was introduced.

But her customers weren't there for a new product. They were there because they were dumping Videotron.

"My day began first thing this morning with two customers waiting outside the door at 9 o'clock to switch over their home services," she said. "They were adamant about switching. They insisted this was something that was extremely important to them because of the recent developments with Mr. Peladeau."

She says she and her three colleagues processed between 40 and 50 customers on Monday alone.

And that just about every one was there for political reasons.

Other irate ex-customers told CJAD that they are also going to get rid of Videotron and are trying to form a broader Videotron boycott.

In the interests of full disclosure, CJAD is owned by Bell Media.

Photo courtesy La Presse

showing 25 comments · show all comments · Subscribe to comments
  1. Gary posted on 03/10/2014 06:42 PM
    ALL Canadian news outlets (radio, television AND print) should boycott anything and everything that is issued via Québecor Media - the only way they'll understand is if you hit them where it hurts, in the wallet
  2. Jenny posted on 03/10/2014 06:42 PM
    It is about time the English and allophones start making waves and stand up for what they want. It is bad enough the Federal government has turned their backs on us.. at least now, we can come together and fight these snakes.
  3. Eric posted on 03/10/2014 07:28 PM
    I'll wait to see if he gets elected. If he does, well then it is bye bye Videotron and hello Bell!! As much as I hate Bell for their customer service I would rather have them than have my money support a PQ Separatist.
    1. marc posted on 03/10/2014 11:19 PM
      @Eric I hate Bell but I hate the PQ even more. I won't even wait to see if he gets elected, screw them.
    2. JoyceO posted on 03/11/2014 12:48 AM
      @Eric Don't forget there's also Shaw Direct! Never heard a negative comment about them. Littler guys try harder!
  4. Kiley Philp posted on 03/10/2014 08:26 PM
    You wrote " infuriating some of his English-speaking customers"....please correct this. If you check the Videotron Facebook page, along with Non a pier-Karl Peladeau...you will see NUMEROUS Francophones disgusted and leaving Videotron. This is not simply anglo issue...
  5. Vince DC posted on 03/10/2014 09:14 PM
    I've been a Bell customer for over a year now ever since they introduced their FIBE service and have never looked back. Regardless, I would switch in a heartbeat if I was still with Videotron. I'm one of the admins for a Facebook group that's devoted to boycotting Peladeau and his holdings, Videotron being the asset that most federalists here recognize. We had a handful of members this weekend when the group was started and today it's over 375. Many members are planning to or have already switched to Bell and this is only Monday. I think it's abhorrent that someone with so much media power would go near politics, especially the PQ camp. Can you imagine the conflict of interest? Marois has finally crossed the border to never-never land and I'm VERY HAPPY. April 7th might be the end of the PQ and, hopefully, the beginning of many years of stability and peace!
    1. Mark W. posted on 03/11/2014 09:24 AM
      @Vince DC You underestimate the extreme ignorance of a very large
      proportion of the population of Quebec. Unfortunately. Hopefully anglophone and allophone apathy don't squander what could be a boycott that is long long overdue...
    2. al posted on 03/11/2014 04:39 PM
      @Vince DC Vince.. What is FIBE service...?
  6. ric posted on 03/10/2014 09:38 PM
    Bravo ex-videotron people, we're proud of you. Some of my friends (francophones) did the same thing.
    Choke on that peladeau, you and marois can romp around in your little separatist world.
  7. Brandon posted on 03/10/2014 10:20 PM
    We left videotron for bell today! Switched as soon as I heard the news!!
    1. James posted on 03/11/2014 11:11 AM
      @Brandon Thank you for doing that.
    2. Eric posted on 03/11/2014 07:56 PM
      @Brandon To hurt him just about everyone would have to switch, he's a multi-millionaire. And actually we would not hurt him but his employees, who do you think would lose their jobs ?
  8. Drew posted on 03/11/2014 12:39 AM
    Peladeau will be the cause of the falling apart of the the PQ party. He is a know anti union advocate he has evolved in almost 14 lock out of unionized personal and bringing in scab labour so he definitely will NOT get the union vote. Queen Pauline has welcomed him aboard as a scape goat if the PQ party does not get re-elected his reputation will be blamed by the PQ Party. Another possibility that he will de throne the queen and take over when they loose and blame her . We maybe saying " What has more seats then the PQ party your car!!!!!
  9. Kat posted on 03/11/2014 05:56 AM
    We should boycott not only Videotron but ALL of pkp's media.
    And any other separatist for that matter.
    Buy Canadian.
  10. Martin rioux posted on 03/11/2014 06:06 AM
    Now if all these peoples that are boycotting or want to boycott videotron go out and vote on election day then maybe we have a chance of taking the pq out of there. But I doubt it will happen.
  11. Ray&Jay posted on 03/11/2014 08:30 AM
    Well in Lachine Bell has not put in fibber optics line in my area,So they can not supply me with the service.Well maybe I will just move out.
    1. JoyceO posted on 03/11/2014 05:19 PM
      @Ray&Jay Not a great solution, Ray & Jay! We need you here!!! There are others such as Rogers, etc. to try. Bell is not the only game in town.
  12. Larry posted on 03/11/2014 10:44 AM
    CAQ's François Legault screamed loud and wide that he would bring up the "DEAL" everyday of the campaign. What happened we haven't heard anything more from the CAQ on the topic?

As legal expenses for the lawsuit launched against Jacques Duchesneau and François Legault are now covered by the National Assembly, has there been a deal which effectively kept François Legault mum on the "DEAL" topic?

Yes, Marois-Blanchet must appear before the Parliamentary Committee.

JUSTICE MUST BE SERVED!
    1. Kat posted on 03/11/2014 01:53 PM
      @Larry Duchesneau steps down right before Pelledeau steps up - all in the St-Jerome riding. Duchesneau was also the favorite of the CAQ also the vote splitter in the last election. Coincidence?

Truly the CAQ put there to take away votes from the Liberals.
      But by who???
  13. Celine posted on 03/11/2014 11:33 AM
    It's not only anglophones and allophones that stress over this situation. I'm a French quebecer who also speaks perfect English and I'm pissed off. I had moved away from videotron for bell fibe a year ago otherwise i would certainly do it now. We need to tell Canadians west of us about a full separatist owning their "Sun" papers ... Hit'm where it counts. Lets see his convictions when it affects his pocket.
  14. Larry posted on 03/11/2014 03:03 PM
    I was seriously contemplating moving from Bell to "PKP" Videotron for my land line, Internet and TV.

Thank you for PKP (PQ/Pauline Marois) loudly and clearly announcing his separatist candidature, my decision was not a decision at all ... Bell retains this customer.
  15. Paulo posted on 03/11/2014 04:54 PM
    That's how sad this is.One moment I admired Pelideau for his accomplishments and his business savy. And in a instant he ruins it by joining Marois and showing his true colours,which are $$$$$$ and Language.As much as I don't like Bell ,I guess that's my new cable company. Shame on you Pelideau.
    1. JoyceO posted on 03/11/2014 05:22 PM
      @Paulo There are other choices such as Rogers, Shaw and others.
  16. William J. Massicotte Ph.D. posted on 03/11/2014 06:26 PM
    After reading this, today I took the couple of hours and switched to Bell FIBE. I made a point of telling the civil people at Videotron of my reasons for canceling my service with them. They offered me deep discounts to stay on, since I had been with them since 1983. I explained that my wife, a US citizen, finds the PKP issue so offensive that we would be willing to pay triple so as not to remain with Videotron. I do thing this is our first referendum and it is the duty of every clear minded person, Fr. & Eng., to vote with their wallets as a symbolic gesture of what is about to come.
  17. Michael posted on 03/11/2014 06:34 PM
    It took me thirty minutes to change from Videotron to Bell Fibre. This Saturday, it will be installed. Now..I'm back in Canada. My home is a Canadian home in the province of Quebec...let that be known.
  18. joanne allen posted on 03/11/2014 07:45 PM
    TIME TO LEAVE VIDEOTRON BEFORE OUR STATIONS ARE CHOSEN FOR US BY A SEPARATIST PELADEAU. WOULD START/SIGN ANY PETITION
  19. JoyceO posted on 03/11/2014 11:23 PM
    For all those interested - Videotron just today commissioned Leger to conduct a poll on whether Videotron subscribers like their service, have changed their feelings toward the company in recent days, the reasons for same, whether they would recommend Videotron to family/friends, if planning to switch to another provider in the near future, etc., etc.

The survey was sent to me as I am a member of their panel. BOY, DID I TELL THEM!!!
  20. Don posted on 03/12/2014 12:48 AM
    Boycott anything that has to do with quebecor media. Esp the corporations english language papers. Hit that separatist where it counts. Tell your friends in ontario to boycott his papers.
  21. JM posted on 03/12/2014 08:13 AM
    We left Videotron 18 months ago.... BUT for an HD antenna. It is small, $70 one-time cost, sits in my attic and is connected to my existing coaxial home wiring. I get all broadcast networks (Cdn & US) for free....forever.... Cable/Satellite providers are a model that is broken. Last year was the first year in the US that the number of subscribers actually declined. Sometimes people forget about 'old school' over-the-air broadcasting - it's still there, and it doesn't cost you anything. Peladeau is representative of this out of date thinking and is well suited to joining the ranks of a fragmented disparate party like the PQ.
    1. Alex posted on 03/13/2014 11:03 PM
      @JM We did the same, i.e., bought an inexpensive roof-top antenna. We had used Videotron for TV for years. Now we get all the channels we had, plus many more with no monthly charge.
  22. Christopher Bain posted on 03/12/2014 04:05 PM
    I left Videotron 2 years ago. I am no longer using/purchasing anything from Quebecor such as Videotron, Archambualt, Canoe, and Sun Media.

CJAD still runs videotron ads which I find a contradictory. What is CJAD doing about this?

Mulroney is also a Board member for Quebecor. Wow!
  23. Vivian posted on 03/12/2014 04:34 PM
    Proud to say that I have terminated all three services with Videotron today and switched to Bell CANADA! No matter if Peladeau wins his riding or not, he is and will remain a separatist. No way will I give him another penny!
  24. Kev posted on 03/12/2014 07:38 PM
    I was planning on cutting the cord, Péladeau just hastened the decision.
  25. wluis posted on 03/13/2014 07:38 AM
    And that is why you sell you shares in companies when entering politics.

Why should people have to quit their Jobs, because a separatist owns it?
    Everyone has a right to a job.
    Why place an employees in the middle of your battle.
    There is a name for people like that.
showing 1-25 of 28 comments · show all comments