Election problems; Chateauguay woman claims she was told she couldn't vote because she didn't speak French

Quebec's Chief Electoral Office is reminding Quebecers to check their voter information card that they received in the mail to make sure they're registered on the electoral list.

If you aren't, you have until March 25th to add your name or register a change of address.

A Chateauguay woman tells CJAD News that her name was left on the list but when she called her local revision office, she says she was told she couldn't vote because she didn't speak French.

"She said it is not a Canada election, it's a Quebec election and if you don't speak French, you cannot vote." said Wendy Neptune .

Neptune says she was shocked and calls the treatment by the unidentified employee deplorable.

She says it's strengthened her resolve to cast a ballot April 7th.

The Elections Office says what Neptune was told was nonsense.

Spokesperson Denis Dion says they go out of their way to make sure all Quebecers can vote, regardless of language.

1. ric posted on 03/19/2014 06:33 AM
    Another piece of separatist garbage that will go totally unpunished.
  2. Jim posted on 03/19/2014 06:57 AM
    Considering some of the controversy surrounding past elections (robo-calls), uncounted votes in the 1995 referendum, etc, you would think that all calls would be recorded and kept for future reference. This is easily done and is practiced in private industry. This "he said, she said" nonsense is ridiculous. How can the representative be so sure of what was said by whom. All said and done, Québec is really becoming quite the banana republic. No accountability and replete with examples of conflict of interest and lack of transparency / honesty. I am not passing judgement on who said what in this case, but we should be able to verify it for transparency sake otherwise we will not be able to guarantee a democratic process.
  3. Ray S posted on 03/19/2014 07:32 AM
    The sooner we vote the PQ out and rid both our province and country of their xenophobia the better.

An educated person would never utter words like the election official. Only a stooge, living off the phantasmagorical promises of a false prophet, would utter such drivel.

Let us rid Quebec of thoughts that make us a laughing stock not only in Canada but in the rest of the world. The sooner we resume our position as a leading province in Canada, the better!
  4. Paul posted on 03/19/2014 07:34 AM
    It didn't take long for the separatists to start cheating.
  5. Kari posted on 03/19/2014 08:42 AM
    Again, thank you PQ government for creating monsters like the person in the electoral office.
    According to our wonderful government and an even more wonderful premier, behavior like this has become " the norm" and after a moment or two of news will quietly disappear.
    That person should be fired, immediately.
    I personally cannot wait until the election to hopefully get rid of the people who are supposed to represent " all " Quebecers.
    What they represent, in fact. are the racists and ignorant people who seem to crawl out of the woodwork......................................
  6. Tyson posted on 03/19/2014 10:25 AM
    She probably dialed Marois number by accident...
  7. brian posted on 03/19/2014 10:34 AM
    Here we go again! .Seems like a another concocted conspiracy by the seperatists. Magical -many voters were deleted from the not voting list ,even though they have been at same address for 15-20 years..An investigation into these deletions by an outsider is warranted and definitely not by Quebec Eelection representatives
    Wow ! I have to speak French to vote, yet if I speak English I still have to pay taxes
  8. canadian quebecer posted on 03/19/2014 11:06 AM
    She should call her Liberal candidate . I'm sure he or she would be happy to help .
  9. 1mohawkview posted on 03/19/2014 01:13 PM
    They should have an independent firm to count the votes to make sure that no separatist throws out Liberal votes.
    This election is too close and too important.
    Remember 1995 elections? Je me souviens.
  10. Pete posted on 03/19/2014 01:16 PM
    Funny, i just received our voter card and my wife, who has a french name, is on it, but I with my clear anglo name is conspicuously missing. Lived at the same address for 12 years, never a problem before. One has to wonder.
  11. Ted posted on 03/19/2014 01:20 PM
    I do not believe this is an accurate version of the "events.
    Hopefully the Elections office records the calls, but I think it is also possible that the complainant totally mis-understood what was said.
    He said - she said cases rarely make it this high on the news agenda... but this is inflammatory, so it moves near the top.
    I think this is a tempest in a teapot.
  12. Dodoboid posted on 03/19/2014 05:14 PM
    Outrageous! It's a shame that Ms. Neptune didn't get the official's name. I'm glad to hear that she'll be casting her vote on the 7th, wonder who she will vote for?
  13. Pascal posted on 03/20/2014 05:46 PM
    It's so ridiculous. I'm francophone, I listen CJAD everyday, I know many English people and I don't understand these people at election office. I support this women. Stay strong.

CJAD NOW...