Pauline Marois promises a new French Language Charter

With questions of a referendum dominating Parti Quebecois press conferences, leader Pauline Marois wants the language question to come back to the forefront.

Today in front of supporters in Saint-Angèle-de-Premont in Mauricie, Pauline Marois said the PQ should return to the question of language.

Marois said that the Liberal party prevented them from adopting their previous legislation (Bill 14) while the CAQ was willing to have a discussion on what she calls a fundamental question. Marois promised if the PQ is elected they will put the project back on the table and make a new French Language Charter.

Bill 14 would have extended Bill 101 rules for large businesses to smaller companies with between 25 and 50 employees as well as toughening up the law on access to English education and bilingual municipalities.

1. maria posted on 03/23/2014 11:24 PM
    Boy she really wants anyone that is not french out of here - What happened to "I have respect for the anglos" - if she had any respect she would not be threatening anglos now with a charter also. And she wants to do business with the rest of the world, who would want to do business with her, smart business people will just pass this province and not give it a second glance. This province is going down the drain, right up drainville's alley.
    1. Jim posted on 03/28/2014 07:02 AM
      @maria you're right.. The impression I get from the wicked witch is that if anyone has the audacity to speak any language but French, she would like to see them hunted down and shot. I personally know two people who have been denied the right to vote in the April 7th election because they are Anglophone.
  2. Mark posted on 03/24/2014 07:05 AM
    Yet another example of wedge politics used to bolster political gain. The greatest threat to French culture comes from the powerful American media influence, not from Anglos living inside the province, and there's nothing the PQ can do about that. A strong Canada that absolutely guarantees French language and cultural rights is the best protection. Separatism guarantees, in the long run, the destruction of French dominance in Quebec.
    1. Anna posted on 03/24/2014 09:54 PM
      @Mark That;s the problem here ..............pandering to the French....... and that's what you sound like you're doing ..............the French language is not my problem...
      and the gradual elimination of English speakers rights is unacceptable.
    2. George73 posted on 03/25/2014 01:11 PM
      @Mark I disagree. Firstly there is no threat to the French culture. France seems to be holding its own quite nicely on that front in a Europe where the second language spoken by pretty much every single EU country is English. You don't see the Danes wringing their hands in despair.

The greatest threat to the French Quebecoise culture - which is so totally different from France - is the arrogrance of people like Marois. If you want someone to respect your culture, its probably not the smartest move to alienate everyone else with your supremacist attitude and rantings. Beleive me, the first thing that the rest of this continent thinks of when it wakes up in the morning is NOT how to get rid of that pesky French speaking spot on the map.

The PQ are just a bunch of cry babies. Always someone else's fault. Perhaps they need a diaper change because their "big boy" pants are obviously so full of it.
  3. ric posted on 03/24/2014 07:56 AM
    Don't promise too much, pauline. You'll probably be without a job by Easter.
  4. jonico posted on 03/24/2014 08:00 AM
    Pauline & PQ are acting like hampsters in small cage. Scrambling around - & they only have themselves to blame for their poor ratings in polls.
  5. clint posted on 03/24/2014 08:02 AM
    Charters....white papers....discussions......everything but solutions to the problems here
    Oh wait ....they ARE the problem.
  6. joeN posted on 03/24/2014 08:29 AM
    I clear sign of desperation from the PQ. If things don't go your way blame the anglo's, the hajib wearing immigrants, and anyone who wasn't born in saugney or chibougamou. I would laugh if it were anywhere else on this earth but sadly it's right here in the circus du Quebec.
  7. Joe posted on 03/24/2014 08:31 AM
    What about getting elected on what the people want. Jobs, healthcare, infrastructure and education are what they are talking about, and by not talking about the most important subject which is the ECONOMY the stuff I mentioned above will go to the wayside because there is no cash to do anything about it.
    So put your pipedream away and forget about all your racist laws and let Quebec prosper.
  8. GT posted on 03/24/2014 08:37 AM
    Pauline sounds like a broken record if anyone should be appologizing to Quebecers, it's her and the PQ who have no real substance in their platform. They continue to insult the intelligence of Quebec voters with this never ending attack on the english language, insistence on the charter of intolerance, and the liberal past when the PQ's past is the most questionable. Anyone wonder where Pauline's husband is hiding during this election campaign? Has anyone checked the FTQ office??
  9. Lydis posted on 03/24/2014 08:53 AM
    when an overpass collapses again and kills somebody how will a language charter help? We need our infrastructures repaired, we need to be able to get to work without worrying about potholes and overpasses . We need a government that doesn't waste our money on propaganda videos, or on language police harassment for ridiculous infractions. We need to be able to go to a doctor when we are sick or have an operation without waiting a year. We need to be able to educate our children in any language we see fit to give our children the best possible chances. I don't care about the religious clothing someone wears or what church they go to.I don't care if somebody says hello or Bonjour to me first.I just care that they do say it. I don't care if there is writing in French or English on the back of a spoon. I want the right to choose, to speak, to vote, to work, to flourish, to live in my culture and beliefs. I want to protect my language as well. I want to remain Canadian and a Quebecer. I want to be proud of my home
  10. Eric posted on 03/24/2014 09:02 AM
    Pauline and her priorities!!!

My daughter is in the hospital. Today they started a new "plan"because of budget cuts.

Now there will be a 1 nurse and 1 nurses assistant for every 8 kids.

This province is going down the drain! I hope that the media investigate this situation.

It was already difficult to get your child looked after, now it seems it will be even worse.

Why are they building such huge hospitals if they are cutting services?
    1. anne posted on 03/25/2014 01:40 PM
      @Eric I am sorry you are having to go through this .. I hope your daughter improves soon..
      the PQ are not concerned about anybody other than themselves ,, that is obvious. I do not now or in the future intend to pander to them and their forever focus on their own so called "Culture" perhaps they focus on it so much because its totally insignificant ! Who amongst us in the real world has so much free time to focus on our own image to the extent these "People" do ? the world is in crisis -yes it is..... and these ..people the PQ and their ilk stare at their profiles night and day , will it never end ?
  11. Francois Charette posted on 03/24/2014 09:39 AM
    Of course she wants a new "Language charter" - parce que garder la population ignorante and uni-lingue permet au gouvernement de faire ce qu'il veut, quand il veut, sans craindre de perdre le support public.
  12. Kat posted on 03/24/2014 01:14 PM
    The amount of racism present in everything this party stands for is astonishing. How are they being allowed to act this way? How can the federal government allow such racism and not say a word for all these years?
    1. Gary posted on 03/24/2014 05:39 PM
      @Kat I believe it may be because the federal government, like many Canadians, have given up on this province and are just waiting for it to leave the confederation. Sadly enough for those of us who wish to remain here and remain Canadian and have the right to speak our language. Quebec is not going to change. There are too many who hold on to an ancient past of ancient hurts to see a new world of possibilities in front of them. They will continue to teach their poisonous intolerance to their children.
      Their charter and language police are not protecting the language. I find the average french speaking Quebecois uses more English in their dialogue than ever before. Stricter laws that will continue to harass the English community is like beating a dead horse with respect to language preservation. It is time they come down on their own people. Examples of useful things the office of the French Language could do:
      Warnings in video rental stores reminding Quebecois they should not use the English soundtrack on a movie. It is there for English people only. French radio stations should face strict sanctions for playing English music, and announcers severely disciplined if they use an English word or phrase instead of its French equivalent. Quebec French musicians who insist on using English words and Phrases in their music should be faced with fines for doing so. In fact perhaps a fine to French people who use English phrases in public may go a long way toward preserving the language as well.
      However, the current language laws and police who enforce them are a joke and do nothing to achieve their stated goal, unless that goal is truly to harass English speaking Quebecers.
    2. joeN posted on 03/24/2014 07:39 PM
      @Kat Because Harper only represents the west, Alberta mainly, and the 1 million ukranian voters in the western provinces. He couldn't care less about Quebec, or the non francophone population which is the PQ's scapegoat for anything that they don't like.
  13. Louis posted on 03/25/2014 02:58 PM
    On April 8th, she can promise her cat, snuggles, a new french language charter, when she'll be sitting at home on her couch unemployed!!
  14. Kari posted on 03/26/2014 12:03 PM
    This woman does not give up!
    However on April 8th she will have no say in the matter and no job.
    I cant wait.
  15. J lorn posted on 04/08/2014 11:18 AM
    I live in the west. I care about Quebec
    I am passionate about this. I respect
    Quebec inside of Canada. I was deeply
    concerned to see Charter rights trashed
    By the PQ. I am overjoyed that their
    Misguided view is now relegated to
    The trash heap of history. The Charter