Muslim prayer could hurt Quebec economy: PQ candidate

photo: Le Nouvelliste

Shawinigan PQ candidate André Beaudoin, in an interview published today in Le Nouvelliste, praised the "courage" of Herouxville councillors who, in 2007, banned the not-so-widespread regional practice of stoning and genital mutilation.

Beaudoin, who is running in the Laviolette riding, said he's worried reasonable accommodation requests from Muslims could hurt Quebec's economy.

"In Muslim countries," he said, "life stops on Friday afternoons and prayers are done seven times a day."

(The most devout of Muslims pray five times a day.)

"We see this in countries like France, who are faced with this reality," Beaudoin added. "It (prayer) becomes a fundamental right and that creates important economic and social problems. I think we have to solve this problem at an opportune time..."

There has been no response yet from Shawinigan's Muslim community, estimated to be made up of 15 people.

1. Barcham posted on 03/27/2014 06:47 PM
    And in Europe, business grinds to a halt during vacation time in the summer so what's your point? Honestly...can someone tell me where the PQ finds these idiots and who in their right mind would vote for them? Are they really that backwards or is it all an act? Unbelievable.
  2. markR posted on 03/27/2014 07:18 PM
    .... and this ladies and gents is a prime example of the in breeding that takes place in the remote areas of this province. The sad part is that people like this are running for public office and supported by equally ignorant people.
  3. Beth posted on 03/27/2014 07:43 PM
    If the concern is that Muslims will be absent from their posts longer that their breaks and lunch hours, maybe they should outlaw smoking anywhere but private homes, and stop the damage to the economy cause by smokers leaving their work once an hour for a cigarette.
    1. Jimovitch posted on 04/01/2014 03:28 AM
      @Beth And banning smoking will stop Muislims from praying... HOW ????
  4. Dania posted on 03/27/2014 08:41 PM
    In Muslim countries, Friday is a day off anyways... What would hurt the economy is all the persons working in the public sector that would loose their jobs or will move to the other provinces.
    1. Sam posted on 04/02/2014 09:00 PM
      @Dania I think even people from the private sector, and from different religions will leave the province too.
  5. andrew posted on 03/27/2014 09:11 PM
    After reading this I can't help but feel that all recent economic and social problems are created by the PQ. Hopefully after the election they can go away.
  6. Jim posted on 03/27/2014 10:25 PM
    Once again, the PQ is trying to create a problem where one does not exist. If they really want to target a religion which truly cuts into productivity in the workplace, he should cite the Québecois' religious attendance to their cigarette breaks. Let conduct a study of how many work hours are lost to that, or to workers "religiously" consulting their facebook pages while at work. Now that is a REAL problem. God forbid André Beaudoin would target these problems as something to take definitive action against. Better to target a visible minority who does not represent the numbers to have any political clout. It's a cowardly act for political gain.
    1. Marie-C posted on 03/28/2014 01:21 PM
      @Jim Jim ...maybe this guy is also a smoker ! That could be why he will never go after these people ! LOL
    2. Sim posted on 03/31/2014 03:17 PM
      @Jim Actually Jim, a US university (Michigan I believe) did a study on lost man-hours due to facebook that came out 4 days ago. 260 million $ a yr in lost man-hours in the US!
  7. Ashley posted on 03/28/2014 09:06 AM
    I am not more Muslim than Pauline Marois is. How much damages did the Pequistes manage to inflict on the economy by their ongoing hate mongering against non-Francophones and ethnic minorities? How much economic success can the PQ show for the nearly 40 years since the PQ seized power and implemented all the French-supporting bills, 101 at the helm?
    How about life stopping during Sundays in all Greek, Italian and other devote communities? Life stopping at all Jewish communities every Friday evening until Sunday? As one has already mentioned here. life stop all across Europe for the month of August, in some countries for longer than that, is the European economy in worse straights than that of QC?
    Nonsense. The Pequistes are hate-mongering people, that's all. White supremacy. And my name is White and I don't find myself supreme to any other human being.
  8. GM posted on 03/28/2014 12:39 PM
    It seems that the PQ promote that unless everyone is the same they should be feared. What is next...everyone must wear the same hairstyle as the leader?
    1. Marie-C posted on 03/28/2014 01:23 PM
      @GM OMG ! PLease no ! I really don't want to look like any of them especially Marois !!!! lol
  9. 1mohawkview posted on 03/28/2014 01:43 PM
    What is hurting the Quebec economy is the inability of the PQ to govern this province.
    Lets make a list of the 'nothing' they have done starting with Pasta Gate up to PKP and the REFERENDUM.
  10. Gord posted on 03/29/2014 08:52 AM
    Muslim policeman to the crook. Stop right there, I have to pray for 5 minutes. Muslim fireman to the home owner who's house is on fire. We will get the hose out as soon as I am finished praying.

Come on...another problem that doesn't exist. Sigh....tell me again how many of our fellow Quebecers see this party as a reasonable option.
  11. Nine posted on 03/29/2014 10:50 AM
    I am a Muslim with a valid work permit, I paid four times more than a Quebecois for my higher learning education, I work a professional job here in Quebec and I file my taxes every year. I only take 5 mins max for a single prayer, and ensure all the minutes I spent are recovered by staying back a little bit late, while my born-Quebecois colleagues came to work late, pack up and leave early, and purposely went out smoking many times a day. I am getting tired of these monkey politicians ruining Quebec, and I want to move to Ontario as soon as possible.
    1. David posted on 04/01/2014 12:36 PM
      @Nine Reply to the hardworking Muslim. I like what you had to say. I can
      understand your point of view. I am sorry that you have probably had
      some unpleasant experiences in Quebec but it sounds like you
      have made a home here and I wish you would stay and not consider
      moving. You have a right to be here. No one can learn or appreciate
      anything that is forced upon them in an atmosphere of negativity.
      Everyone should be treated equally with respect.
  12. Will posted on 03/29/2014 12:37 PM
    Just a smoke and mirror comment to occupy people's minds with not looking at the real issues. A vast majority of Muslims are not very religious and even those who are take 10 mins a day to pray..... only 2 of those prayers are within business hours and certainly take a lot less out of the day than the average SMOKE BREAKS.........
  13. Bass posted on 03/30/2014 10:21 AM
    Why selecting one item from along list non job related activities : coffee, chatting, internet, smartphone, active exercising, smoking, networking, coming late or leaving early.... When/where is a 15 min of spiritually is an issue?
  14. Mlebbadi posted on 03/30/2014 04:44 PM
    Viva ignorance and infinite stupidity
  15. Allan posted on 04/01/2014 04:36 PM
    And forcing people to people from working in the international language of business is good for the economy ?
  16. Allan posted on 04/01/2014 04:37 PM
    Outlawing Pasta is good for menu printing business
  17. Sonnpdog_Montreal posted on 04/02/2014 09:11 AM
    The PQ fears Islam and what happened with the immigration of Muslims to France is the real reason for the charter. They want to stop Muslim immigration to Quebec. The damage to Jewish and other religions is considered as collateral damage to them. Shawinigan PQ candidate André Beaudoin just let the cat out of the bag.
  18. Sam posted on 04/02/2014 08:52 PM
    Again, REALLY?!!!
    PQ started talking about hijab (the veil), swimming pool, now about prayers, what else?
    May be every muslim family must have Poutine in its meal once a day.
    Would you really stop this. In Quebec, people wants to see the economy doing well,graduates find jobs, patients find hospitals, hospitals find nurses, investors come and invest in Quebec. We came here to study, work, and have kids as anybody else.