Marois wants to re-write Bill 101

Parti Quebecois Leader Pauline Marois promised Friday to introduce a beefed-up language law to clamp down on what she calls institutionalized bilingualism.

The new law would target businesses, particularly in Montreal, she said.

"We think it's important to adopt a new French Language Charter because I think in Montreal we have real problems on this issue,'' Marois said.

"We want to live in French, to work in French. That is very important.''

The PQ leader is hoping to project herself and her party as the best bets for defending the French language.

The topic is always a lightning rod in Quebec election campaigns among fears in certain quarters that French is under constant threat in Montreal.

Campaigning in Montreal ahead of the April 7 general election, Marois insisted she has nothing against individual bilingualism.

"If you want to be bilingual, I agree with you as a person. But as an institution and as government, I think the official language of Quebec is French and we don't have to be bilingual in our institutions.''

Liberal Leader Philippe Couillard was on the defensive after Marois and Coalition Leader Francois Legault accused him in Thursday's televised debate of being soft when it comes to protecting French.

He said Friday that Bill 101 in its current form is sufficient — as long as it is applied in rigorous fashion.

"Always in North America, French will need special attention,'' he said. "And I think all Quebecers, including English-speaking Quebecers, recognize that.

"We must respect and apply Bill 101 as it stands today. As for going forward and protecting and promoting French, for us the solution goes better with teaching it better, writing it better, speaking it better, teaching it faster for newcomers to Quebec.''

And the fluently bilingual Couillard touted the benefits of speaking both French and English.

"It's always a great advantage for anyone to be bilingual. I know. And this is something the Pequistes don't want me to say but I'll say it again — there's not a single parent in Quebec who doesn't hope for their kids to be bilingual. It's such a fantastic asset in life.''

1. joeN posted on 03/28/2014 02:03 PM

It's also important to completely destroy any chance of Quebec ever rising above it's paranoia and hysteria reagrding it's language and forgo joining the global community. Yes, isolate yourselves within your province of Quebec while the rest of the world evolves and is more inclusive.
  2. Sandy posted on 03/28/2014 02:19 PM
    Marois and the PQ are suffocating! Living under their banner is becoming too stressful.

If they are elected, I'll take my fluently bilingual skills as a health care professional out of this province...no doubt they would be welcomed anywhere else!
  3. stu posted on 03/28/2014 02:37 PM
    Marois and Legault must be living in a cave, if anything, the quebec liberals have done more to trash the rights of Anglophones and Allophones from back in the late 60's under Bourrassa and his Bill 22 and later with bill 78.
    since the late 60's, all elections seem to be a contest as to which party will shaft non francophone more and personally I think the liberals win hands down.
    some choices non francophone have, either you vote for hard separatists (pq,qs),
    soft separatists (Legault) or sovereigntists (liberal)
  4. Tom posted on 03/28/2014 02:37 PM
    Couillard is absolutely right, being bilingual is a great asset. By no means is he saying not to speak French or eliminate French. He is stating the obvious that in these days English is extremely important to progress. Just as people are being refused jobs because they can't speak French there are many also being refused jobs because they cannot speak English also. Other countries thrive on trying to learn English. There is no fear of them losing their mother tongue. Marois and the PQ are just trying to instill fear again. The election is NOT about English / French. It is about separation. A vote for PQ is a vote for separation, plain and simple!
  5. Expressive Pauline posted on 03/28/2014 02:58 PM
    The symbol she makes with her fingers reflects how much tolerance and respect she has for anglophones.
  6. bruce posted on 03/28/2014 03:22 PM
    I live in New Brunswick the ONLY bilingual province in Canada. Quebec has NO respect for the English language, unless it benefits them. I have traveled through Quebec a number of times and a number of times being I have been ignored or denied service because I speak English. I have heard clients in the store say in French of course - why are u serving those English people (my sister in law speaks French). now when I HAVE to drive through Quebec I fill up with gas at the NB border and than when I enter Ontario. Do I dislike French people - NO - do I dislike the ignorance and politics that is being played - yes. far the majority of the English and French people enjoy our culture, WELL until the politicians get involved and raise untrue fear and tell people the rest of Canada is why Quebec is in problems. It is and will continue to be how politicians are elected. and not the real reason - they are CORRUPT and want self gain not provincial gain.
  7. chuck posted on 03/28/2014 04:18 PM
    By knowing English they raise themselves from the swamp of ignorance and by doing so can connect with the common language of north america,
  8. SStM posted on 03/28/2014 10:40 PM
    "law would target businesses, particularly in Montreal, she said."
    Anybody still wondering whether Montreal will ever flourish again in the real world without liberating itself from the ultra provincial Province of Quebec. Montreal's culture is much more than language. It is very distinct from the ROQ. Long live the French language but no language should reign over culture and enslave its people. Any wise francophone will be proud of their language but not dominated by it to the point that they will devote their lives to it. Language is an amazing tool. It is not all there is to culture. Eric Lapointe and Celine Dion and Marie Mai have less in common culturally with Moliere, Sartre and Debussy than they do with Beiber, Katy Perry and Kid Rock.
  9. Dan posted on 03/30/2014 07:37 AM
    Why is Bilingualism something bad that needs to be thwarted? Shouldn't we be thriving for Trilingualism in our global economy to maintain competitive with the rest of the world? English, French and Spanish seem like the languages all Quebecers should be fluent in. We should then start encouraging Chinese...

Why would we want to make ourselves less competitive in the global landscape? Makes no sense to me; yet most of what Marois says and does, doesn't make sense to me either...