The police investigation into the devastating fire in a seniors' residents in L'Isle Verte is moving away from the theory of careless smoking as the cause.
La Presse reports this morning that investigators now believe the blaze started in a kitchen, where the night attendant had begun preparing the morning meals.
The report says investigators are wondering whether they've had a full accounting of the facts from the attendant, who told them he saw the first signs of smoke pouring out of a resident's room. He said the 96-year old resident had earlier been told it was too cold to go outside for a late-night cigarette.
The fire two months ago killed 32 people.