WATCH: PQ candidate suggests public servants be fired for violating charter

Comments made by a Parti Québécois candidate during a debate at Vanier College Tuesday night made waves on the campaign trail throughout the day on Wednesday.

The PQ candidate for Acadie, Évelyne Abitbol, raised hackles when she was asked point-blank by incumbent Liberal MNA Christine St-Pierre whether a doctor wearing a kippa at the Jean-Talon hospital would be fired. (The video of the Vanier debate is here, in full, with the exchange between St-Pierre and Abitbol beginning at roughly the 49:30 mark.)

Abitbol answered yes, after one year, but she later backtracked, suggesting there would be a five-year window for the hospital to apply the law.

The next day, Premier Pauline Marois told a radio interviewer that some public servants would lose their jobs for violations of the religious symbols provisions of the secularism charter, but then added the government would be ready to step in to help those people find jobs in the private sector.

She didn't offer any specifics as to how that would happen.

1. LMAO posted on 04/02/2014 06:18 AM
    he Journal de Montreal reported Abitbol was asked a pointed question: would a doctor wearing a kippa from the Jean-Talon hospital would be fired – yes or no?
    She answered yes, after one year.
    Abitbol later backtracked and clarified saying hospitals would be given a five-year window to apply the proposed law.

AFTER WHICH THEY WILL BE FIRED THAT IS VERY CLEAR OTHERWISE THERE IS NO NEED FOR THE DUMBEST LAW EVER PROPOSED IN A CIVILIZED SOCIETY.
  2. Mordy posted on 04/02/2014 07:25 AM
    It's unbelievable Evelyne Abitbol, who is Jewish, would fire a Jew for wearing a kippah. Has she no self-respect? Shame on her.
    1. joeN posted on 04/02/2014 09:07 AM
      @Mordy As the french would say, she is a vendu!
    2. mark posted on 04/02/2014 09:20 AM
      @Mordy Of course she has no self respect, she's a pq candidate.
  3. Barcham posted on 04/02/2014 10:05 AM
    Finally the truth is slowly coming out. All the backroom details that the PQ discuss among themselves but refuse to disclose are leaking out to the public. Now we are beginning to have a small idea of what the consequences of such a charter would be. So basically it will be a 1 year wait before they start firing people in the public service and 5 years for hospitals IF they have requested an exemption. Good to know!
  4. Paskuniak posted on 04/02/2014 12:13 PM
    Harass doctors by making them choose between their work or their religious obligations - as if they didnt already have enough incentive to take their skills elsewhere. Great healthcare policy PQ, keep it up.
  5. Claire posted on 04/02/2014 12:19 PM
    I've met Abitbol a few times and even had the misfortune of working with her years ago. Let,s just say she's not the sharpest knife in the drawer. Ambitious yes, smart no.
  6. Sherwin Tjia posted on 04/02/2014 01:26 PM
    There is a doctor shortage already. It's silly to let this trained doctor go to Ontario. We will still need him! We have an aging population! I propose we keep him here, but in a special hospital where every public servant who disobeys the law will work. We need to keep them together, so we know where they are and can identify them. We need a special area in the city where all the talented anglophones and talented minorities will go so we can use them when we need them, but they are kept out of sight.
  7. Rebel 666 posted on 04/02/2014 01:37 PM
    What would happen if an atheist like me wore a kippa cause I liked it (I am not religious whatsoever) and not as a religious item?
    1. NDGrobi posted on 04/03/2014 10:56 AM
      @Rebel 666 Unfortunately, You would be labelled as a disruptor of the peace and/or an instigator.
    2. dancer girl posted on 04/08/2014 12:45 PM
      @Rebel 666 That is my argument exactly! I am a catholic and things have meaning to me but to others they mean nothing, so what is the problem. If I wear crucifix (cross) earring they have meaning to me ,but are just jewellery to others. Where does it stop...If someone wears skull earrings what are they? Some death cult, so we ban that too...who can really say what goes on in the mind of others. We may not agree with peoples beliefs but we should respect them. In the words of KID PRESIDENT: "I disagree with you but I still like you as a person, who is a human being and I will treat you like that because if I didn't it would make everything bad and that's what lot's of people do and it's lame" :)
  8. Rick posted on 04/03/2014 11:05 AM
    Just what we would need less doctors working here. (sarcasm) I went to 2 different walk in clinics this week and both of them had no doctors working that day and one won't have any for 3 days
  9. Joey posted on 04/03/2014 12:39 PM
    Marois is so full of it. The only thing she have been doing for the past two weeks, is patching up stupid replys done by her party.

You can not trust the party, they will do anything and say anything in to achieve their goal. We all know what that is!

Joey
  10. Marcil posted on 04/03/2014 02:33 PM
    I spent many weeks in hospital 2 years ago. I assure you, when I was in pain, I did not care WHAT the doctor standing over my bed was wearing. I was greatful for the care. Period.

I don't believe any sane person would or SHOULD care.

What a trumped up issue.

Bigotry and divisiveness at its finest. Here's hoping those people who propose such a charter, creep back between the cracks they emerged from.

Marcil