Just one of the McGill Five will be allowed to vote

Four of the five McGill students who were fighting in court for their right to vote earlier this week will not be able to cast a ballot.

The five were students who came originally from outside the province, and were refused as they tried to register their names on the electoral list.

The one who was granted the right to vote, Brendan Edge, is the Green Party candidate for the Laval riding of Chomedey.

The four others did not meet the requirements the revision committees have set regarding the notion of being "domiciled" in Quebec. That not only involves being a resident of Quebec, but also intention to stay, according to Justice Robert Mongeon.

The students had all been represented by constitutional lawyer Julius Grey — he says he's satisfied with the ruling, but suggests he might continue to pursue the issue after the election.

1. George73 posted on 04/04/2014 04:57 PM
    There are a lot of people in this province who have no intention of staying if the PQ gets in.

I'm not sure of any way to establish that any voter intends to stay in Quebec longterm. Not even Marois - if she gets her butt kicked and people start to probe her financial dealings, she has the money to leave to some tax haven. How does one prove an intention to stay, exactly? And for how long?

Intention to stay is complete nonsense. No taxation without representation. Does anyone remember that basic concept?
  2. Suzan posted on 04/04/2014 05:07 PM
    How on earth does one prove "intent" to stay in Quebec? Residency is residency - you can apply for your Medicare Card after 3 months. This is beyond ridiculous and approaches the draconian.
  3. Barcham posted on 04/04/2014 05:13 PM
    Since when is "intention to remain in Quebec" a requirement to be able to vote in Quebec? I have lived here my entire life and would leave in a second if I was financially able to, so does that mean I should have my vote taken away from me? As the goal of separatists is to leave Canada, should their votes not count in a Federal election?

This is a total farce and should be challenged in court and taken to the Supreme Court of Canada if necessary.
    1. Honesty posted on 04/05/2014 12:50 AM
      @Barcham I really appreciate that statement of "As a goal of separatists is to leave Canada, should their votes not count in a Federal election". Very well said!
  4. MarkN posted on 04/04/2014 10:01 PM
    Does that mean my children are not eligible to vote, because I told them that if, after graduation, they remained in this basket case of a province, I would consider my life to be a complete failure?
  5. Steve posted on 04/04/2014 10:09 PM
    I had a feeling that the student who's been in Quebec for seven years but still carries a BC health card would have a hard time convincing a judge...

They had one of the top lawyers in town and lost. Obviously they didn't have a case.
  6. ric posted on 04/05/2014 05:59 AM
    I fail to understand how a pencil pushing clerk can refuse to register people on the electoral list. What we have done or are doing can easily be proven. What we plan to do is impossible to prove. How STUPID!!!