Kirkland's mayor, councillors vote to give themselves pay raises

The mayor of Kirkland and his council have voted to give themselves substantial pay raises.

The raise amounts to more than 20 per cent, retroactive to January 1st.

Mayor Michel Gibson, gets a 24 per cent increase , raising his salary to $46,600 a year, but he's also giving up his city issued car.

The salaries for the six councillors goes up $3000 to just under $16,400.

Gibson says the salaries are in line with those offered elected officials in other demerged cities.

1. Eric posted on 04/09/2014 05:31 PM
    Raises should be like everyone else. Cost of living around 2% This should be considered illegal. How can politicians do this? Unbelievable. Citizens have no recourse. Wish I could give myself such a raise!
  2. Mike d posted on 04/09/2014 06:01 PM
    They must have forgot to tell me about this when they came to my door looking for my vote. Wonder if Meaney would have done this big a jump. Sorry but 24 % is more than my 2 % a year. Yikes!
  3. sstm posted on 04/09/2014 07:15 PM
    Don't you wish that you could do that too? Democracy ... hah
  4. Mark posted on 04/09/2014 08:01 PM
    At first, after reading the headline, I figured that the numbers would be in line with other government self-appointed pay raises and my blood started to boil. However, given the amount of work involved in running a town the size of Kirkland, the actual numbers, in my opinion, are justified and reasonable.

Given the fact that the mayor is giving up a city car (likely $6,000+ per year benefit), the raise does not amount to more than 20%, it is more in the range of 10%. I would have hoped that the mayor of my childhood hometown were earning more than $46,600 per year. Given the quality of life that the citizens of Kirkland enjoy as a result of good leadership and management, the mayor and his staff deserve this increase- if not more.
  5. Another Eric posted on 04/10/2014 11:22 AM
    As a Kirkland taxpayer, I was pleasantly surprised that my municipal tax bill this year was actually a few dollars lower than last year. We've been here a long time and that's never happened before. Given the sound management that the Ville de Kirkland provides, I don't begrudge the mayor and council members these raises.
  6. Murray posted on 04/10/2014 03:22 PM
    Why doesn't Kirkland allow people to record their meetings?

CJAD NOW...