Pauline Marois makes teary goodbye

Pauline Marois
Angelica Montgomery / CJAD

Her final words as premier were heavy with emotion. At one point, Pauline Marois asked for a tissue as she sniffled through much of her fairwell address.

"It will soon be seven years since...since I left my garden..." she began, and then broke down, unable to go on.

"I've read this 20 times and still can't get through it," she said.

Marois listed her accomplishments as Quebec's first female premier and through her 30 years in politics.

"As a young woman I dreamed of changing the world. Today, I humbly permit myself to think that I contributed thanks to you."

Saying she "regrets nothing" and is leaving office with a feeling of a duty accomplished, She also spent some of her last words to call on Quebecers to protect their language and identity.

"I call on you to continue to stand up and with your head high to protect what you hold close to your heart," she told them.

On her party's Charter of Values, she said the question of the equality between men and women still hasn't been settled and the discussion must continue.

And, she said the sovereignty movement would carry on. "I don't know when. I don't know how. But one thing I know. We would be in a better situation if Quebec were independent."

She refused reporters' questions about what might have caused voters to turn away from her party, or where the PQ should go from here.

"I will not comment on the political situation, except to delight in the fact that I leave a party in good health and I'm proud to have run it for so many years," were her parting words, followed by the applause of her staff and team members.

1. Mike d posted on 04/16/2014 07:03 PM
    Thank god. Get lost.
  2. Adam posted on 04/16/2014 08:30 PM
    She regrets nothing, and we don't regret issuing her, her walking papers!
  3. Murray posted on 04/16/2014 08:53 PM
    Her epitaph will justifiably be that she singlehandedly ended the threat of Quebec separation. We all owe her a debt of gratitude!!
  4. Barcham posted on 04/16/2014 10:20 PM
    Her tears were for herself, not for the citizens of Quebec. This was long overdue and I hope we never have to see her face or hear her voice again.
  5. ric posted on 04/16/2014 10:40 PM
    I cried as well, however mine were tears of joy. GOOD RIDDANCE.
  6. LMAO posted on 04/16/2014 10:44 PM
    The woman has no shame. She devastated her party - left them worse of than when she took over as leader and never once took ownership for her misgivings. She decimated the Quebec healthcare system again and did nothing in 18 months for the people of Quebec. Her legacy is one of utter failure, good riddance. She was an embarrassment to Quebecor's and Canada.
  7. G. John posted on 04/16/2014 11:16 PM
    Attempting legislation on religious grounds opens the path to discrimination, bigotry and intolerance. Her accomplishments are by far overshadowed by her arrogance and ignorance.
  8. al posted on 04/17/2014 05:19 AM
    Sniff Sniff Goodbye. The worst of the worst..I can't believe your a woman who represents woman. Your a disgrace and wake up you will go down in history as a failure, liar and someone who used her own people,
    Vacation in Mexico!
  9. Lyne posted on 04/17/2014 06:01 AM
    Delusional till the end-smh. Happy retirement Pauline, enjoy your margaritas up on the hill while the rest of us 'common folk' work to put our Province back to what it once was, La belle Province. Although, Je me souviens should now refer to April 7 2014 has a nice ring to it!
  10. John D posted on 04/17/2014 09:05 AM
    Her tears are my joy!
  11. Kari posted on 04/17/2014 09:12 AM
    I also cried when I heard her speech.
    Absolute tears of joy..........................
  12. joeN posted on 04/17/2014 10:21 AM
    She is still oblivious to reality. There is hope for the new generations who are tech savy, and see the world as a global community and evolve from the narrow, myopic, view that her generation is desperately holding onto.
  13. george posted on 04/17/2014 02:16 PM
    Nothing to see here. Just some crocodile tears. Yawn...
    1. Victor posted on 04/19/2014 09:36 PM
      @george She made history on twO points: 1. The first female Prime Minster of Quebec and 2. The worst Prime minster of Quebec.

NO MORE NEEDS TO BE SAID.
  14. Leane posted on 04/17/2014 07:30 PM
    GOOD RIDDANCE!!!
  15. Mike G. posted on 04/19/2014 08:42 AM
    She had a good roll in politics - 35 yrs,
  16. chuck posted on 04/21/2014 12:50 PM
    so glad to see the end of this disastrous government and their racist and bigoted views. 18 months lost and so much ground to recuperate...not sure how much more this province could take of drainville, lisee and marois. happily the next 4 years may be quiet and good as the liberals make the necessary repairs to a very damaged reputation of the quebec province. Hopefully montreal could enjoy a special ststus enshrined in law where biligualism(read english) may prevail. Enough of the french being jammed down the throat...time to join the 21st century and be prosperous and if that means speaking only english then bring it on.