Public Mobile facing possible class action lawsuit over contract changes

Public Mobile could be facing a class action lawsuit for allegedly changing conditions in the middle of their clients' cell phone contracts.

Consumer lobby group Union des Consommateurs is asking the courts to authorize the class action lawsuit alleging Public Mobile is modifying contracts in breach of consumer protection laws.

Spokesman Philippe Viel says their phones have been ringing off the hook with complaints from Public Mobile clients.

"Being cheated, being stuck with their phones," Viel told CJAD 800 News.

Viel says people have been complaining to them that the cell phone service provider is telling them they have to buy new more expensive phones to be able to access to the new network provided by Telus. They're also being told their plans are being changed or replaced even if their phones still work or if they got guaranteed rates or discounts for plans running as long as 20 months.

"They will be stuck with this old agreement, they wil lbe stuck with their phones. And even if Telus provides new phones with some kind of a rebate or smaller prices, clients should not buy new phones to access a network," Viel said.

Viel said clients are telling them they feel cheated and trapped especially when they signed up with the company because it was cheaper than others.

"For them, it was a good economic choice to go with Public Mobile so now they will have to spend more money to have the same kind of services that they choose to receive with Public Mobile," Viel said.

The lawsuit is asking Public Mobile to respect the current contracts and give clients new phones at no charge, or otherwise compensate them for losses.

1. ric posted on 04/19/2014 08:29 AM
    I think that the biggest liars and thieves are cell phone companies, followed very closely by cable/dish and internet providers. It's incredible how they think of ways to gouge us with hidden fees and charges for everything. When you look at other countries, we're being held at gunpoint.
  2. Amanda Punit posted on 04/22/2014 09:47 PM
    I have been with public mobile since 2010. I just spent $300, in Dec for a new phone for my daughter. It got water damage, so two weeks ago we went into the store to buy her a new one. We asked them about the change over. They told us at the store, we just had to bring our new phone in, and they would change it to the new service. Now they are telling us that we have to buy a whole new phone, after we bought a brand new one April 9th of this year. I spoke to a couple sales reps, and they were rude, and didn't care at all. The manger said,"well that's to bad, you want to stay with public mobile you buy a new phone" I was angry and very upset. I felt scammed. I will never deal with Public mobile again, but I wish we could be compensated for our losses, and stress.
  3. Bruno DiFonzo posted on 04/24/2014 08:52 PM
    so how does one get involved with, this class action lawsuite. I too fell like I am an after thought.
  4. Ann posted on 04/25/2014 08:34 AM
    I will like to be included in the lawsuit, how do we proceed?
  5. Joel posted on 04/29/2014 01:50 PM
    Bought a new expensive phone from Public end of Feb. 2014-it is now useless. What can be done and is Telus doing anything for Public's customers.
    1. Marc posted on 06/06/2014 09:56 PM
      @Joel I don't think so
  6. Moi posted on 05/07/2014 08:34 AM
    The class action is being done by Merchant Law Group
  7. fred koch posted on 05/17/2014 01:21 PM
    I bought a phone from Public,the price was good compared to the other providers. They gave me unlimited data,no other provider offered such a plan also a month free if you let them in your bank account so they can take out forty dollars a month. Now three months later Public is telling me I have to buy a new phone and am only entitled to one mg of data. Its time to stop getting raped by these companies If I was to steal money from someone I,m sure I would end up in jail, yet here is a company that is ripping off people like you and me and I,m sure nothing will happen to Public nor do I see grtting my money back.
  8. Jean Plescha posted on 06/08/2014 06:05 PM
    It has been less than a Year that I am with Public Mobile,

I bought a new phone to be able to have the service at 130$ (integrated SIM card mind you cannot unlock), and have enjoyed the service since, until these changes following Telus aquisition of Public Mobile.

I am asked to buy a new phone, asked to pay a month on the new plans, in order to get some kind of 2 months free offer thereafter.

But the new plans are not only more expensive but also have less features than the previous ones. I currently have a 35$ plan with Unlimited Calls, Unlimited Text messages and under the 3G network Unlimited Data. The new plan is very restrictive in comparison ans costs more.

Is this why Telus bought Public Mbile? To "shut them down"...I remember last summer our dear Canadian major Mobile Providers cried all summer long to CRTC due to the possibility of American Verizon comming to Canada and compete. Is that why they cried so that they can buy out the smaller competition in Canada and impose their rates instead?

This goes beyond the simple mishandling of all this situation from a consumer POV.

Where do I sign up for the Class action Suit?
  9. Marc posted on 06/16/2014 11:59 AM
    I hope all gets fix and the people get a good deal from it