Separatists as insects: Searle makes things worse for himself

Loyola councillor Jeremy Searle.
John Kenney/CJAD

NDG councillor Jeremy Searle's comments about separatists being insects once again made waves in council today.

The independent councillor from Loyola has issued an apology for likening separatists to insects that need to be exterminated, though he did so outside council chambers. But during today's meeting, after Searle spoke about an unrelated matter, Coderre demanded he make his apology in council.

Searle then appeared to question Coderre's mental state.

"I forgive Mr. Coderre for not understanding the French language, I was asking about the Decarie tunnel," was Searle's response in English. Switching to French, he then said, "simply, I will repeat because he has a head problem — "

Council speaker Frantz Benjamin cut him off, and a visibly angry Coderre was allowed to react.

"Mr. Searle, we are here in a room full of honorable people." he said. I have fought all my life against intolerance, and against insulting federalists or separatists in whichever way. If you continue the insults, you have no place within these chambers. Will you apologize, yes or no, once and for all?

"And don't worry about my head."

Searle finally issued the apology, but only after Benjamin threatened to kick him out of council.

1. Joe posted on 04/28/2014 04:24 PM
    I am 100% behind Searle except for one thing. He should apologize to the insects for comparing them to the separatists.
    I am against Coderre since he took power in Montreal.
    He just walks on egg shells.
  2. ric posted on 04/28/2014 04:42 PM
    You know Mr. Searle, I lauded you when you said criticized the separatist movement last time. I then wrote that you had nothing to apologize for, and a lot of people agreed. You should have left well enough alone. To bring it up again was wrong.
    A person should apologize ONLY if they want to not have to.
  3. Barcham posted on 04/28/2014 06:31 PM
    Coderre should have left this alone. There was no reason to demand another apology. He should never have apologized in the first place.
  4. Mike d posted on 04/28/2014 09:53 PM
    Separatists are not insects... Traitors maybe but not insects.
  5. LMAO posted on 04/28/2014 10:46 PM
    Real shame i thought we had found a real honest politician here. He had nothing to apologize for and Coderre is always looking to catch the headlines.
  6. Derek posted on 04/29/2014 08:25 AM
    Mr. Coderre should be very carefull of his Napoleonic attitude lately. For a little man his comments are a little too big for his head. I say put him in a locked room with David Desharnais. Quit being a maroon and do your job as all civil servants should. Servants being the key word.
  7. Barcham posted on 04/29/2014 01:05 PM
    Searle should demand that Coderre apologize to Toronto for insulting their nightlife.