Parti Quebecois election post-mortem puts spotlight on sovereignty

The Parti Quebecois must be more clear about its sovereigntist ambitions if it wants to achieve success, several party members argued at an election post-mortem on Saturday.

The PQ called last month's vote in the hope of securing a majority government, but instead suffered a devastating loss to Philippe Couillard's Liberals.

The result -- the party's worst electoral defeat since 1970 with a popular vote of just 25 per cent -- has led to soul-searching within the party about the best way forward.

Rejean Hebert, a former health minister who lost his seat in the election, is among those who believe there was too much confusion about the PQ's stance on independence during the campaign.

"I think we need to have a position that's much clearer on sovereignty, where we can explain our option and not speculate on an eventual referendum," he said at a Laval hotel, where about 150 PQ members gathered for a closed-door meeting.

That same position was outlined by one of the movement's elder statesmen, Jacques Parizeau, in a lengthy newspaper column published Saturday.

Parizeau argued in Le Journal de Montreal that sovereignty is the PQ's raison d'etre and it should be a focus, even during an election campaign.

It shouldn't be used as a "kind of flag that’s waved from time to time to keep the faithful in the ranks," Parizeau wrote.

Like Hebert, PQ president Raymond Archambault agreed with Parizeau's take.

"It's a good message," he said in Laval.

The PQ often shies away from talk of independence during an election for fear of losing votes over the polarizing issue.

Sovereignty wasn't expected to be a focus of the April 7 vote, but it was thrust to the forefront after star candidate Pierre Karl Peladeau declared his commitment to making Quebec a country.

Marois, who stepped down as PQ leader after losing her seat, made a surprise appearance at the event but didn't speak to the media.

The former premier has been out of the public eye since bidding an emotional goodbye to politics last month.

During the election campaign, Marois took heat for not giving a clear answer to questions about the timeline for another referendum, saying repeatedly she would call one when the population was ready.

Couillard, meanwhile, hammered away at the notion that a PQ majority would mean another referendum and a decade of economic instability.

Photo: Paul Chiasson/THE CANADIAN PRESS

Leave a comment:

showing all comments · Subscribe to comments
  1. Joe posted on 05/03/2014 07:38 PM
    They discovered that they lost the election was lost because the Liberals exploited the fact that separation was the clans main goal.
    So lets sum up this waste of time, they are saying they did not talk enough about what 75% of the population does want talk about. Can't wait till the next election so they can figure out something that has been the same thing for the past 40 years.
  2. Sic posted on 05/04/2014 07:55 AM
    You will NEVER attain your dream. The best part is thy are all getting too old t
    ever see it if it ever happened. BOO HOO!
  3. Heather posted on 05/04/2014 11:16 AM
    That is what happened during the campaign. Talk of sovereignty inevitably leads to talk of referendum. You can't have one without the other. The PQ must realize that the overwhelming majority of Quebecers do not want to separate. So, therefore, their raison d'être is a losing proposition. So why do this still exist again?
showing all comments

Share this article:

News Videos



Latest News

  • Canadiens' Kassian enters rehab program after early morning crash

    Montreal Canadiens forward Zack Kassian has entered a substance abuse program after being involved in a motor vehicle accident, the NHL and the NHL Players Association announced Monday. Read More
  • Niqab: Harper government loses again in court

    A new court ruling means a devout Muslim woman who chooses to cover her face now has a chance to become a Canadian and vote in the Oct. 19 federal election.

    The Federal Court of Appeal rejected Monday a government request to put a recent decision in favour of Zunera Ishaq on hold while Ottawa seeks a hearing in the Supreme Court of Canada.

    Justice Johanne Trudel dismissed the government's application for a stay of a Sept. 15 decision that affirmed the unlawfulness of a federal rule prohibiting a niqab at a citizenship ceremony.

    Ishaq, 29, came to Ontario from Pakistan in 2008. She refused to take part in a citizenship ceremony because she would have to show her face due to a December 2011 policy requiring candidates who wear full or partial face coverings to remove them during recitation of the oath.

    The Federal Court of Canada found the rule unlawful in February and the Court of Appeal recently upheld the decision. A three-judge panel ruled from the bench immediately after a hearing, saying they wanted Ishaq to obtain citizenship in time to vote.

    On Monday, Trudel said she could not agree to the federal request for a stay of the appeal court's mid-September ruling.

    "I find that the appellant has not demonstrated that refusing his application for stay would result in irreparable harm to the public interest," she wrote. "This suffices to dispose of the appellant’s motion for stay."

    In a statement released Monday night, Ishaq said she was pleased the courts have reaffirmed her right to citizenship and to vote.

    Ishaq also said she was disappointed with the government's focus on her case "when there is so much more that merits the attention of Canadians at this time."

    "I'm also disappointed that Mr. Harper continually twists the facts of my case for his gain," she said.

    "I wish to confirm that I will be identified without my veil for the purposes of the ceremony. This has nothing to do with identity and everything to do with my right — and the right of all Canadians — to think, believe and dress without government interference."

    The issue of face coverings at citizenship ceremonies has become a highly divisive one on the federal election trail, generating sparks in two French-language debates.

    The Conservatives argue it is essential — and consistent with national values — to show one's face at the very moment of becoming a Canadian citizen.

    "We are disappointed in the court's decision, especially as we were waiting on the Supreme Court to hear our appeal," Conservative spokesman Stephen Lecce said in a statement.

    "We have committed to rectifying this matter going forward by introducing legislation that will require one to show their face while swearing the oath of citizenship."

    The NDP and Liberals have accused the government of using the issue, which affects only a small number of women, as a means of distracting voters from more important issues like the economy.

    Critics of the federal stance note all new citizens must show their face as proof of identity before becoming a Canadian and that the government should not tell them what they can wear during the actual ceremony.

    Read More